Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: You told me....

1. Back To Top    #1

You told me....

Just have to say you all were right! We put in the pool over the winter, you may remember what an ongoing challenge it has been and I ordered my test kit. I have to tell you being a newb it was a bit overwhelming but the instructions were detailed and easy even for a greenhorn like me to understand. I've been testing and watching the water, yesterday I realized you all were right I looked at the water and told the husband, I need to add acid before I even tested it. He thought it looked fine and being a chemist by trade wanted to debate it, so I grabbed the test kit and sure enough, the ph was a little high. He was amazed! I told him the folks on the TFP site said you get to the point where you can tell even if it's a bit off just by looking at it! Thanks again for all your help!
    Finally Done! - 21x34 IG, SWCG, depth - 3.6 - 4.6 - 6.6, Pentair IntelliFlow 3050 vs+svrs, 60 sq ft Pentair DE Filter, 400k BTU Heater, Polaris 280 w/.75 hp booster pump, Pentair EasyTouch wireless, 38 sq ft raised spa, wet edge Barbados quartz finish - ODK w/36 in Napoleon grill

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: You told me....

You have better eyes than I do if you can just "look" at the water and tell if the PH is off! I have a hard enough time matching the colors testing it. Care to share any tips or secrets regarding the "eyeball" test?
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

The pH should not really cause a difference in the way the water looks ... If the FC gets too low, that can cause a dullness.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

I think OP may have meant "based on the pattern I have observed while maintaining the pool the pH is probably low at this point".
    Cedar hot tub, 680 US gallons - Snorkel wood-burning heater, canoe paddle, "offline" Intex 1000 GPH pump/filter with skimmer

5. Back To Top    #5

As I've checked the water and tested it - the sparkle isn't there on the days the ph is high - my FC has remained at the 3 - 4 level but when the ph hits above 7.8 - which it does every few days since it's fairly new plaster, I notice it's not as sparkly. I guess I'm imagining it.
    Finally Done! - 21x34 IG, SWCG, depth - 3.6 - 4.6 - 6.6, Pentair IntelliFlow 3050 vs+svrs, 60 sq ft Pentair DE Filter, 400k BTU Heater, Polaris 280 w/.75 hp booster pump, Pentair EasyTouch wireless, 38 sq ft raised spa, wet edge Barbados quartz finish - ODK w/36 in Napoleon grill

6. Back To Top    #6

I get the same. I always blamed it on my astronomical CH. When pH is low, the water is much sparklier.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

I can tell at a glance when the pH in the hot tub is way too high. It just looks, I dunno, thicker somehow. Probably because the alkaline water has slightly different light bending/refracting characteristics.
    25000-gallon semi-public IG concrete/plaster pool, Triton II sand filter
    750-gallon semi-public IG concrete/plaster spa, cartridge filter
    Volunteer pool caretaker for my condominium complex

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks guys - I didn't think I was imagining it - I'm good, just not that good! Thicker is a good word for it! And btw Richard, my Ch is 850!!