CYA 20

7/12
    FC 3.5
    CC 0
    PH 7.5
    TA 70
    CH 200
    CYA 30

Is it normal to lose TA? As you can see in the results above, I have gone from 100 to 70 in just a few weeks. I have back-washed very little and I have not had to add any water (we did get a lot of rain recently. So much that it was above the skimmer). Could the rain water have dropped TA?

Thanks in advance,
    Josh
    Last edited by Shirker; 07-14-2014 at 11:38 AM. Reason: typo (date)
    TF-100 | 13.6k gal (24' Round) AG | Chlorine | Sand Filter | Two Speed Motor | Installed June 2014 | Last Opened April 24 2016

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Why Am I Losing Alkalinity

Several things could be at play here.
    1) Has pH been rising at all and you've been adding acid?
    2) CH has gone down, which indicates dilution. So it would make sense that heavy rains could be the cause.
    3) CYA is going up. Are you chlorinating with dichlor powders or trichlor pucks? They are acidic and will lower TA.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Have you been using MA often to keep pH lowered?

Have you been using trichlor pucks?
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes, using Trichlor (10# bucket that came with the pool). Plan to stop using the pucks once my CYA is up and/or I run out. PH has been constant with no noticeable changes.
    TF-100 | 13.6k gal (24' Round) AG | Chlorine | Sand Filter | Two Speed Motor | Installed June 2014 | Last Opened April 24 2016

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Shirker View Post
    Yes, using Trichlor (10# bucket that came with the pool). Plan to stop using the pucks once my CYA is up and/or I run out. PH has been constant with no noticeable changes.
    Mystery solved.

If you look at Effects of Adding Chemicals down near the bottom of poolmath, you can see what using trichlor does to chemistry. Besides adding FC and CYA, it lowers pH. So it lowers pH and swimmers and circulation aerate and pH bounces back up. But the TA goes down. It won't be long now before the TA gets low enough that pH won't bounce back up that fast.

Plug in some numbers. 16 oz (2 pucks) will lower pH by about .4. That's the same as adding 24 ounces of acid. That much acid will also lower TA by about 7.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks, guys!

So using Pool Math, if my target CYA is 40, then I may not be able to use up the whole bucket of trichlor before I need to switch over to bleach. In the meantime, I need to throw in about 6 pounds of baking soda, right?

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Shirker View Post
    Thanks, guys!

So using Pool Math, if my target CYA is 40, then I may not be able to use up the whole bucket of trichlor before I need to switch over to bleach. In the meantime, I need to throw in about 6 pounds of baking soda, right?
    Why? TA of 70 is acceptable.

8. Back To Top    #8

I saw that the recommended level is 70-90+, by the "+", I thought it would be better to be on the high end. But if 70 is good for right now, I will just wait and see if it gets any lower before I do anything.

Thanks again for your help. This site is great.

9. Back To Top    #9

TA is better on the high end when using trichlor tablets. With trichlor TA at 100 to 120 is good. Once you stop using trichlor there is no point in raising TA above 90.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

Since it's a bit of a pain to lower the TA level, you can just add enough baking soda to maintain the ultimate TA level you want. Why don't you start out maintaining 70 ppm and then after you are done with the Trichlor you can see if your pH is stable or not. A lower TA can have less pH rise after you've switched to using bleach or chlorinating liquid.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

11. Back To Top    #11

OK, I will shoot for a 70 until I use up the pucks and see what modifications I have to make then.... Just out of curiosity, when I do switch over to bleach, how often do most of you add chlorine? Do you add it every day and try to keep a perfect FC target? Or do you add it two or three times a week and let the FC drift a little?

Again, thanks for the feedback.

12. Back To Top    #12

You switch to bleach when your CYA reaches its target.

I think the majority of us start out testing and dosing every day with bleach until the pattern emerges. Then it's dose every day and test every other or something like that. A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

Everyday is ideal, as you don't want to fall below the minimum. If you can't everyday, then targeting over a bit can keep you from dipping too low.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!