Bettendorf, IA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
Our SWG was just started yesterday and I am little confused about the recommended levels.

The water balance for SWG suggests the following levels:

Salt: ~3,000
CYA: 70-80
FC: 3-5
TA: 60-80
pH: 7.5-7.6

Here are my current readings:
CYA: 40
FC: 4.5
TA: 110
CH: 100
pH: 7.8
Salt: 2,800

So from the looks of it, I need to add some salt and CYA to raise those levels. I also need to lower pH and TA. However the guidance for lowering TA suggests only doing it if I see signs of scaling or if I'm having trouble with pH. I have neither. Should I still go through the practice to lower TA for SWG purposes?

Thanks all.

Have you tested your fill water? My fill water is 140. I'd put some more salt in, get your cya up too and Rev it up! Oh! What does your swg manual say your swg should have for salt level? What are the levels for when the swg will stop generating for low or high salt. What salt level is optimum?

I wouldn't bother with lowering TA right away. Just lower the PH to 7.2 each time it gets to 7.8 until the TA comes down to the recommended level. If you do that your TA will come down very slowly, which is fine as long as the rate at which PH increases doesn't bother you.

I haven't gone through the steps to lower my TA, thanks for the advice. I did add some more salt; we are at 3,100ppm now, that being said, I am having a hard time lowering my pH. It seems to go down to 7.5 for awhile then the next day jumps up to 7.8 or higher. My FC seems to be doing fine, around 4-5 every night, so not too high but pH seems to jump rather quickly. I haven't done the DPD-FAS chlorine test in a few days, so relying on the TF-100 daily chlorine color test but seems to be the same color each night.

Our pool was just finished a month ago and it came with a "set" of chemicals to get me by, so I've been using the sodium bisulfate included. Should I jump to the muriatic acid or finish out attempting the pH reducer? Could there be something else that is causing pH to jump?

High TA and/or low PH plus aeration raise the PH. The SWG provides the aeration. That is probably all that is going on.

Muriatic acid is much less expensive and better for the pool, but it is mildly more difficult to handle.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.