Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How many gallons????

1. Back To Top    #1

How many gallons????

Hope this is in right area, but im wondering about my true gallons of water. My Liner schematic says 15,500, but if i use the pool calculator and put my dimmensions in, it comes out to about 24000. Wondering why such a difference? BTW, I have a 16x32. Shallow end is 3.5 for about 4 feet, then it goes to 8 on the deep end.
    14000 gallon 16x32 roman in ground vinyl, Hayward 140k heat pump, swg, de filter 1 1\2 HP v.s. pump. Built in June 2014. Tf100 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How many gallons????

There are several things to keep in mind. Vinyl liner pools always have sloped sides below the depth of the shallow end, so the deep end isn't nearly as wide/long as the rest of the pool. PoolMath assumes vertical sides. Also vinyl liner pools almost always have rounded corners, not square corners, which also reduces the amount of water.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion View Post
    There are several things to keep in mind. Vinyl liner pools always have sloped sides below the depth of the shallow end, so the deep end isn't nearly as wide/long as the rest of the pool. PoolMath assumes vertical sides. Also vinyl liner pools almost always have rounded corners, not square corners, which also reduces the amount of water.
    That makes sense, as that's exactly what I have. So I'm guessing what the blueprint for the liner is correct. 15,500 seems a bit low, but I guess with the angles and curves, that's correct.
    14000 gallon 16x32 roman in ground vinyl, Hayward 140k heat pump, swg, de filter 1 1\2 HP v.s. pump. Built in June 2014. Tf100 test kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

If you consistently are not hitting your targets with chemical additions, like if you are always over shooting, then you may need to bump up the volume some.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

How many gallons????

I would believe the info from your liner. My pool is also 16' x 33' with 3 1/2' and 8' depths and from my calculations, comes out to 12,500 gallons. I have very large radius corners.

The 15,500 for your liner is also probably the completely full capacity of the liner. You probably only fill it to within 6 - 8" of full. As jblizzle stated, you can fine tune the gallons by calculating how chemical additions effect your water.
    16' x 32' IG vinyl liner w/ hopper bottom (12,500 gal), Single-speed 1 HP Sta-Rite pump, and 300# Cristal-Flo sand filter, TF-100 test kit