Pump motor wore out again. Replacement help

firepilot

LifeTime Supporter
Nov 26, 2011
Lewiston Idaho
Well on the way home from a 10 day trip my son calls and says the Pool pump is making a howling sound. I tell him to shut it down and I'll check it out when I get home.

Get home flip the breaker and yes a bearing is gone again...

In the last four years we have had the first motor go out our first season. Pool guy installed a rebuilt motor, it failed fairly quickly and so we installed a new motor and it made it two years.

The actual pump is a Sta-Rite max e glass II pump and looks old.

I was looking at the Pentair Intelliflow Variable Speed Pump and it looks like a good system. I like the different style motor it seems robust and I like the fact its a pma motor.

We have a caretaker inground cleaner system and 2" pipe that comes into the current system. I have 1 skimmer and one floor drain. The pool itself is 18,000 gallons.

If you have any advice or suggestions I am all ears. I have found the Pentair for around $869 shipped. it is the VS model. Looks like the VF model would be about $200 more.

I am really looking for some good advice. I just got the system cleared of Mustard algae . Currently plan to run the screaming system a couple hours a day to turn the water over and hope it makes it until the new pump gets here.

Thanks Much

Phil

Where do you have the pump installed? Is there plenty of airflow to where the pump is? The only factor that would be killing your pump that quickly is heat. Thats where the Pentair Intelli-flo comes in, Is has a self cooling system/induction fan that actually cools itself. I have been installing The intelli-flo for about 7 years and never had a problem with them in direct sunlight, although it is a good idea to have them in some sort of shade with lots of fresh air.

Have they been replacing the shaft seal when they replace the motor? (faulty shaft seal will drip water that kills bearings)
What's the cost of electricity? If its more than $.40 a KWH variable speed is no brrainer, but less then how about getting a 2-speed motor?
Do you get lots of lighting/power surges (what the electrical quality)?

You may also want to check the electrical supply. It the pump is not getting enough juice it can cause the motor to run hot. Check the voltage going to the pump and make sure it meets the requirements stated on the motor label. Heat build up will accelerate pump wear.

Thanks for the tips. The pump is inside my standalone garage. Not direct sunlight but pretty warm when temps are 100 deg.

When the pool guy replaced the motor the first time there was a small drip of water from the seal. When I put the new motor in that he provided I installed the seal and its been dry since then.

I do have 220v out to the pump but I will try and determined if it specs out like the label says.

I just looked and our power rate is pretty low. .08 cents first 600 kWh and .09 cents per kWh after. Nice to be within 150 miles of 6 dams generating hydro power.

We don't have a lot of power surges and such but I do have the pump on a intermatic timer so I don't have to run it all the time.

I found a video this am from wet head pump repair on how to just replace the bearings. I ordered a kit hopefully to be here before I leave again for another 10 days next Thursday. For $50.00 I figure it gives me some time to make a educated choice. Running the noisy pump motor a few hours a day to keep the chems circulating.

If I use a 2 speed pump I assume that requires some kind of controller. I do kinda like the idea of the intelliflow because I think I can run it 24/7.

Thanks

Phil

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.