Pump/filter upgrade

Jun 13, 2012
Russellville, AR
As you can see in my sig, I have the standard Intex cartridge pump that came with the pool. Today my wife brought home an Intex sand filter/pump that is .75hp and 2150 gph (model SF70110).
All I've done so far is read part of the manual. :study:
In my reading, I came across this piece of information about care for the pump:
  • Provide a location protected from the weather, moisture, flooding, and freezing temperature.

So, that presents a problem. Protected from the weather? I've seen so many people that just have their pumps sitting out next to the pool. Does it need some sort of shelter? My current pump is sitting on a 16"x16" piece of concrete, about 1 inch above ground. Would that be sufficient to keep it off the ground?

It also said I needed No. 20 silica sand. Is that the same recommendation from TFP?

Thanks folks!

That is the only sand you should use in filters. As far as protection, depends on your environment. A cover to block rain and sun is good, but most people do not do it. just don't leave it out in winter.

I have an Intex sand filter similar to yours. It is in it's second season unprotected. No issues or signs of any issues thus far.

Well before freezing temps arrive I bring the pump portion inside. I winterize the the filter (16" 100lbs sand) portion by removing the drain cap, sight glass, gauge, and put the valve in the N position. I think it's marked N on the valve position, it's the one that holds it like you're pressing down on the handle.

So I'm trying to hook up PVC to the drain on the filter so it doesn't spew water all over the side of my house, and the fitting screws on, but only part of the way. I could probably wrap a couple of layers of teflon tape around the threads so it doesn't leak (I am afraid to tighten it down) and hopefully that will last the rest of this season. Is there some sort of adapter that will match the Intex threads to standard threads on PVC?

So I'm trying to hook up PVC to the drain on the filter so it doesn't spew water all over the side of my house, and the fitting screws on, but only part of the way. I could probably wrap a couple of layers of teflon tape around the threads so it doesn't leak (I am afraid to tighten it down) and hopefully that will last the rest of this season. Is there some sort of adapter that will match the Intex threads to standard threads on PVC?

Here is an adapter you can make if you have an extra hose to cut up for it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.