Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump/filter upgrade

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump/filter upgrade

As you can see in my sig, I have the standard Intex cartridge pump that came with the pool. Today my wife brought home an Intex sand filter/pump that is .75hp and 2150 gph (model SF70110).
    All I've done so far is read part of the manual.
    In my reading, I came across this piece of information about care for the pump:
    • Provide a location protected from the weather, moisture, flooding, and freezing temperature.

So, that presents a problem. Protected from the weather? I've seen so many people that just have their pumps sitting out next to the pool. Does it need some sort of shelter? My current pump is sitting on a 16"x16" piece of concrete, about 1 inch above ground. Would that be sufficient to keep it off the ground?

It also said I needed No. 20 silica sand. Is that the same recommendation from TFP?

Thanks folks!
    16x48 Intex Ultraframe vinyl AGP, 2150 gph sand filter/pump (Intex SF70110), Hayward Skimmer, TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump/filter upgrade

That is the only sand you should use in filters. As far as protection, depends on your environment. A cover to block rain and sun is good, but most people do not do it. just don't leave it out in winter.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I have an Intex sand filter similar to yours. It is in it's second season unprotected. No issues or signs of any issues thus far.

Well before freezing temps arrive I bring the pump portion inside. I winterize the the filter (16" 100lbs sand) portion by removing the drain cap, sight glass, gauge, and put the valve in the N position. I think it's marked N on the valve position, it's the one that holds it like you're pressing down on the handle.

4. Back To Top    #4

3rd year sitting out in Houston sun. No signs of wear. Luckily the house shades it from late afternoon west exposure.

I wouldnt worry about it if I were you. Worst case, replace after several years. For the cost, no big deal.
    Intex UltraFrame 14'x48in - 3,900 gallons. Intex 1600 GPH combo Sand Filter/SWG Hard Plumbed w/Hayward skimmer, suction & return. Borates.
    And... 15k gallon kidney shaped gunite 1975 vintage. Hayward DE3620 filter + Hayward 750 pump.
    TF100 Test Kit | Pool School | Pool Math

5. Back To Top    #5

So I'm trying to hook up PVC to the drain on the filter so it doesn't spew water all over the side of my house, and the fitting screws on, but only part of the way. I could probably wrap a couple of layers of teflon tape around the threads so it doesn't leak (I am afraid to tighten it down) and hopefully that will last the rest of this season. Is there some sort of adapter that will match the Intex threads to standard threads on PVC?
    16x48 Intex Ultraframe vinyl AGP, 2150 gph sand filter/pump (Intex SF70110), Hayward Skimmer, TF-100 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Chewbubba View Post
    So I'm trying to hook up PVC to the drain on the filter so it doesn't spew water all over the side of my house, and the fitting screws on, but only part of the way. I could probably wrap a couple of layers of teflon tape around the threads so it doesn't leak (I am afraid to tighten it down) and hopefully that will last the rest of this season. Is there some sort of adapter that will match the Intex threads to standard threads on PVC?

Here is an adapter you can make if you have an extra hose to cut up for it.
    Intex 15'x42" Metal Frame pool 4200 GAL with Intex SWG. TF-100 test kit. Our Pool Install Thread

In Work! Master Spas Legend Series LSI 557 3-4 person Hot Tub, 230 GAL using bromine to sanitize it. Hot Tub Install Thread