VF vs VS Pentair Pump....Which one do you PREFER for a 13x25 Pool?

Jul 25, 2010
North Bergen, NJ
FOlks...first off, should I go with a Pentair over Hayward?

2ndly, My research has taught me that I should be buying a pump that can run a High HP when needed but also run at a much lower speed when needed most of the other times to save money and provide slower more consistent filtering. I hope I got that right....with that said, Is the VF Pentair pump overkill for a 13x25 inground new pool build? is a VS overkill?..........Should I consider a different pump entirely?

thanks

NJ has fairly low electric rates, if I remember correctly. That makes the extra cost of a large VS pump more difficult to justify, as you are unlikely to pay it back over the life of the pump.

Unless you have a spa, or other major water feature, there is little to no value to getting a large pump. You are better with a smaller two speed pump. Smaller pumps are more energy efficient, and low speed is more energy efficient than high speed.

Ok thanks JasonLion....when you say a smaller Pump. For my size of a 13x25 pool build with approximately 3.5 shallow and a 6ft deep end, (no spa, no water features) what specific pump would you recommend? .....Im not sure how small is small.

And if its a 2 speed, when would it be advantageous to use the low speed, and when to use the high speed? Sorry if these are dumb questions but I dont know any of this stuff....thanks!

With no special features, a 1HP 2-speed like the Superflo would work just fine. You would always run on low speed and could manually switch to high speed for backwashing and vacuuming.

Small confusion here ... you say a 13x25 fairly shallow pool and then your signature says 29,000 gallon pool :scratch: Is that your signature or another "oops" that occurred during the software change?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.