Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: VF vs VS Pentair Pump....Which one do you PREFER for a 13x25 Pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

VF vs VS Pentair Pump....Which one do you PREFER for a 13x25 Pool?

FOlks...first off, should I go with a Pentair over Hayward?

2ndly, My research has taught me that I should be buying a pump that can run a High HP when needed but also run at a much lower speed when needed most of the other times to save money and provide slower more consistent filtering. I hope I got that right....with that said, Is the VF Pentair pump overkill for a 13x25 inground new pool build? is a VS overkill?..........Should I consider a different pump entirely?

thanks
    Design 14x26 (10,000 gal) in ground vinyl pool, 2 Wide Mouth Skimmers, 3 Returns
    Equip 3.0 HP Pentair VS pump motor, 48 FNS Plus DE filter, IC20 SWCG, 400Btu NG Heater
    Extras Easy Touch Automation, Pentair LED Lite, Kreepy Krawl Racer pressure cleaner
    Water pH 7.5, Total Alk 90, Free Cl 4.5, Combine Cl 0.25, CYA 65, CH 275, Salt 4100ppm, Borates (Boric Acid) 50ppm

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: VF vs VS Pentair Pump....Which one do you PREFER for a 13x25 Pool?

NJ has fairly low electric rates, if I remember correctly. That makes the extra cost of a large VS pump more difficult to justify, as you are unlikely to pay it back over the life of the pump.

Unless you have a spa, or other major water feature, there is little to no value to getting a large pump. You are better with a smaller two speed pump. Smaller pumps are more energy efficient, and low speed is more energy efficient than high speed.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Ok thanks JasonLion....when you say a smaller Pump. For my size of a 13x25 pool build with approximately 3.5 shallow and a 6ft deep end, (no spa, no water features) what specific pump would you recommend? .....Im not sure how small is small.

And if its a 2 speed, when would it be advantageous to use the low speed, and when to use the high speed? Sorry if these are dumb questions but I dont know any of this stuff....thanks!
    Design 14x26 (10,000 gal) in ground vinyl pool, 2 Wide Mouth Skimmers, 3 Returns
    Equip 3.0 HP Pentair VS pump motor, 48 FNS Plus DE filter, IC20 SWCG, 400Btu NG Heater
    Extras Easy Touch Automation, Pentair LED Lite, Kreepy Krawl Racer pressure cleaner
    Water pH 7.5, Total Alk 90, Free Cl 4.5, Combine Cl 0.25, CYA 65, CH 275, Salt 4100ppm, Borates (Boric Acid) 50ppm

4. Back To Top    #4

With no special features, a 1HP 2-speed like the Superflo would work just fine. You would always run on low speed and could manually switch to high speed for backwashing and vacuuming.

Small confusion here ... you say a 13x25 fairly shallow pool and then your signature says 29,000 gallon pool Is that your signature or another "oops" that occurred during the software change?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

If my builder insists on using FLex PVC vs Rigid.....is there a higher quality FLEX I can ask for?...Like the gray version or something?

6. Back To Top    #6

if your builder insists on flex vs ridid, you should fire him on the spot and find a new one. PUt it VERY bluntly to him, that You are the customer. End of story.

Quote Originally Posted by fudgebar View Post
    If my builder insists on using FLex PVC vs Rigid.....is there a higher quality FLEX I can ask for?...Like the gray version or something?
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    With no special features, a 1HP 2-speed like the Superflo would work just fine. You would always run on low speed and could manually switch to high speed for backwashing and vacuuming.
    Or even a 3/4 hp 2-speed like this Superflo.
    14k gal IG vinyl, Jandy Flopro 1 hp up-rated, 2 spd pump, Hayward 325 sq ft cartridge filter, Circupool Si-40 SWCG

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by sargent View Post
    Or even a 3/4 hp 2-speed like this Superflo.
    That is a pretty small pump and also wired for 115V. While most other 2-speed pumps are wired for 230V only. Just something to keep in mind.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!