Help me plumb my Intellichlor

Apr 28, 2014
Las Vegas
I am getting ready to plumb my SWG. Since my return pipes are pretty close to my heater exhaust I'm thinking I should probably re-route this bad boy a little bit. Take a look at this picture:

This is a bad drawing of what I am thinking about doing.

Any advice out there? Right now, the top of the return pipe is about 3 inches below (and about 5 inches to the left) the very bottom of the exhaust box. I'm just not sure how hot that thing gets. I'm a new pool owner and I don't use a heater much in Las Vegas.
Thanks for your help! TFP is awesome.

That is a great idea. The only issue I see with your plan is that you need to match the angle to an available fitting. 45 degree bends are easy to find, but probably too steep an angle for the space you have available. Your next choice is a 22.5, which seems about right for what you want to do, but is a little more difficult to find.

I would just use a couple of 90s to make the new pipe parallel to the existing one, but closer to the pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed. Easier to do 90's and only adds an insignificant amount of run length.

Also, remember that the Pentair installation guide calls for 12"-18" of straight run PVC before the input to minimize any chance of turbulence in the water messing up the flow switch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 22.5 degree bend approach has fewer fittings, fewer glue joints, less head loss, costs less, and has more clear pipe in front of the cell. The only conceivable reason not to use the 22.5 degree fitting is if you can't find one.

I appreciate everyone's input. I agree with JasonLion on this one. I searched locally and no one had schedule 80 pvc fittings for that angle (they did have some for drain, waste, and vent standards but that does me no good). I ended up finding some good fittings on amazon but I had to buy 10. If anyone needs a 22.5 angle fitting for 2" pipe, let me know. I'll be more that happy to mail you one or two, if you pay for shipping.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.