Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help me plumb my Intellichlor

1. Back To Top    #1

Help me plumb my Intellichlor

I am getting ready to plumb my SWG. Since my return pipes are pretty close to my heater exhaust I'm thinking I should probably re-route this bad boy a little bit. Take a look at this picture:

This is a bad drawing of what I am thinking about doing.

Any advice out there? Right now, the top of the return pipe is about 3 inches below (and about 5 inches to the left) the very bottom of the exhaust box. I'm just not sure how hot that thing gets. I'm a new pool owner and I don't use a heater much in Las Vegas.
    Thanks for your help! TFP is awesome.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help me plumb my Intellichlor

That is a great idea. The only issue I see with your plan is that you need to match the angle to an available fitting. 45 degree bends are easy to find, but probably too steep an angle for the space you have available. Your next choice is a 22.5, which seems about right for what you want to do, but is a little more difficult to find.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks, JasonLion, for the feedback. You're right. A 22.5 bend is going to be my ticket. The search is on.

4. Back To Top    #4

I would just use a couple of 90s to make the new pipe parallel to the existing one, but closer to the pump.

14k gal IG vinyl, Jandy Flopro 1 hp up-rated, 2 spd pump, Hayward 325 sq ft cartridge filter, Circupool Si-40 SWCG

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by sargent View Post
    I would just use a couple of 90s to make the new pipe parallel to the existing one, but closer to the pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Agreed. Easier to do 90's and only adds an insignificant amount of run length.

Also, remember that the Pentair installation guide calls for 12"-18" of straight run PVC before the input to minimize any chance of turbulence in the water messing up the flow switch.

6. Back To Top    #6

The 22.5 degree bend approach has fewer fittings, fewer glue joints, less head loss, costs less, and has more clear pipe in front of the cell. The only conceivable reason not to use the 22.5 degree fitting is if you can't find one.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

I appreciate everyone's input. I agree with JasonLion on this one. I searched locally and no one had schedule 80 pvc fittings for that angle (they did have some for drain, waste, and vent standards but that does me no good). I ended up finding some good fittings on amazon but I had to buy 10. If anyone needs a 22.5 angle fitting for 2" pipe, let me know. I'll be more that happy to mail you one or two, if you pay for shipping.

8. Back To Top    #8

Post some pictures of the finished job, we'd all love to see it