Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: going on vacation automatic chlorinater. how long for 9 pucks to dissolve?

1. Back To Top    #1

going on vacation automatic chlorinater. how long for 9 pucks to dissolve?

going on vacation for 10-12 days, shocked pool to 20.

have an automatic chlorinater. how long will it take for 9, 3 inch tricolor tabs to dissolve?

run my pump 8 hours a day, set the chlorinater to 3.5.

I know every pump/pool/chlorinater is different, so just looking for someone that done this before, and what setting they used and if there were any tablets left in the chlorinater?

I let my CYA drop for the last month so be pretty close in balance with 9 pucks dissolving.

15,000 gallon pool
    15,000 gallon inground fiberglass pool with spa. 350lb Sand filter, 1.5 hp pump, and heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: going on vacation automatic chlorinater. how long for 9 pucks to dissolve?

Hard to really say but if you cover the pool with a solar cover you should have no problems.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

I put my mesh cover on, so some sunlight still gets through.

i should have included that in my post
    15,000 gallon inground fiberglass pool with spa. 350lb Sand filter, 1.5 hp pump, and heater

4. Back To Top    #4

Without current test results it's more than hard to say. Howd you "let" your cya drop over the past month. I've had the same cya level for over three months. Backwashes and splash out only minimally decease cya. Reducing cya takes a lot of draining and replacing water.
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter

5. Back To Top    #5

40 -30 in a month, we swim a lot with many kids, 15000 gallon, couple pool parties too. 15-20 peeps

6. Back To Top    #6

When using trichlor after being familiar with liquid, don't forget the pH! According to pool math on a 15,000 gal pool 9 pucks (~72oz) will raise CYA by 20, but also lower pH by 1.76. In the worst case high CYA can be dealt with when you get back (assuming water is relatively cheap), pH may not be so forgiving.
    20,000gal in-ground 16x36 sentry pools vinyl liner, Pentair sand filter, Pentair minimax NT heater, auto-cover, Polaris 280 cleaner.

7. Back To Top    #7

Ph naturally rises with air. plus i have the spa that spills over. Hoping all the pucks don't dissolve. Cya of 50 i can deal with.
    Last edited by smooth2222; 07-18-2014 at 03:57 PM. Reason: Updated