Sand in pool from the filter

Jul 9, 2013
Crozier, VA
I have a 10K fiberglass pool with Hayward equipment, SuperPump w/A.O. Smith 1 HP 2 speed motor, S244T sand filter. I have sand from the filter coming into the pool. I've taken the filter apart, checked the laterals, no breakage; opened the VariFlo valve, found some sand, cleaned it out, greased with silicon, reassembled and still getting sand coming into the pool. My pool store says that the VariFlo spider gasket (I took it to them) can't be replaced. IS this really the case? THe gasket is white and kind of chewed up. IS there any way to replace the gasket? Is there something I haven't checked that could be the cause of the sand in the pool?

Welcome to TFP zappabent :wave:

I'm not well versed on sand filters but someone should be along soon to help you. :goodjob:

OK, I still have sand in the pool from the Hayward 244T sand filter. I've replaced the sand, checking the laterals and didn't see any broken. Have now replaced the key seal diverter assembly on the Vari-flo valve and STILL getting sand blown back into the pool from the filter. Before I take all the sand out again, is there anything else that could be causing sand from the filter to get into the pool? When I first opened it up, I noticed a cavity in the sand which I assumed was where the sand was being forced out. Could I have missed a crack in the vertical stand pipe or in the lateral assembly, because I'm positive there were no broken laterals.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.