Questions About Installing a Pentair IntelliPH

tucsontico

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 30, 2014
Tucson, AZ
Just purchased a Pentair IntelliPH. The installation instructions call for the injector to be placed before the SWG. My plumbing arrangement will not allow that without a massive PVC "Rube Goldberg" rework. Is there any downside to placing the acid injector after the SWG? :confused:

Two competing thoughts -

Injecting acid before the SWG would seem the optimal arrangement as that would lower the pH prior to the water entering the SWG. The SWG raises the pH of the water inside it substantially.

However, injecting acid into the SWG could also result in plate coating erosion due to the substantially lower pH effectively etching the coating when the SWG is not ON.

Does the IntelliPH unit control or read the status of the SWG? Is the SWG a Pentair IntelliChlor?

[Editing note - I just looked up your signature and see you have an IC40. Ignore the second question]

Assuming Pentair did some basic engineering work to determine the optimal arrangement (I know, that could be a wild assumption as most of their documentation contains conflicting info), then you're better off following the manufacturers recommended method. It might also void any warranty you have if you don't install it the way they state in their instructions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just looked at the IntelliPH installation manual. I would say they have it right. Since the IntelliPH reads the status if the IC40, you optimally want the acid injected before the cell not after.

I don't know you're pipe setup is but why does the saddle clamp for the acid injection pose a problem? Your IC40 should have been installed with 12"to 18" of straight PVC pipe before entering the cell?

Pictures would help.

However, injecting acid into the SWG could also result in plate coating erosion due to the substantially lower pH effectively etching the coating when the SWG is not ON.
There is no possible risk as this can not happen. Acid is only injected when the pump is running and at a slow enough rate that the PH of the water flowing through the cell is not changed all that much.

I can't imagine any problem installing the acid injection before the SWG. But if that really is impossible then after the SWG is alright.

There is no possible risk as this can not happen. Acid is only injected when the pump is running and at a slow enough rate that the PH of the water flowing through the cell is not changed all that much.

I can't imagine any problem installing the acid injection before the SWG. But if that really is impossible then after the SWG is alright.

My only contention with that statement is warranty issues. If Pentair says it has to be before or else you void your warranty, then I'd be wary to advise that it is ok

Call Pentair and find out for sure.

My IC40 was not installed with 12"-18" of straight pipe before the cell :(. I had the PB replace a Pool Frog system with the IC40 and his crew had to work around the existing plumbing. They installed the IC40 in a vertical configuration to adapt to the existing PVC and it leaves me with no room for a saddle clamp or PVC T-fitting without a lot of re-plumbing. Will send pics later today.

My IC40 was not installed with 12"-18" of straight pipe before the cell :(. I had the PB replace a Pool Frog system with the IC40 and his crew had to work around the existing plumbing. They installed the IC40 in a vertical configuration to adapt to the existing PVC and it leaves me with no room for a saddle clamp or PVC T-fitting without a lot of re-plumbing. Will send pics later today.

Is there no point between the input of the IC40 and whatever is behind it (heater or filter) where you can put the saddle clamp?

My setup looks like : pump >>> DE filter >>> Gas Heater >>> IC40 >>> returns (Spa or Pool)

In that kind of a setup, you'd ideally want the IntelliPH saddle clamp installed on a run of PVC after the heater but before the IC40. If you don't have a heater, then you want the IntelliPH on a run of PVC after the filter but before the IC40.

If your only option is after the IC40 then you have to make a choice - bite the bullet and do a re-plumbing of the IC40 (maybe call in a plumber that does pool work to do the job) or else install it after the IC40. As Jason stated, it really shouldn't matter from a technical perspective where the IntelliPH feeder tube is located BUT, if I were you, I would call Pentair support and get that statement in writing from them so as to not screw up any warranties you have.

I don't have a heater so the IntelliPH should go right after the filter but before the IC40. However, there is no room for the saddle clamp. Here's a few pics of my plumbing:

photo 1-1.jpg

The blue oval indicates the most likely area for the injector. However, that length of pipe is only 2" long (shown below) and the saddle clamp is 3 ½" long.

photo 3.jpg

Here's my preferred location. It is just after the IC40 and the saddle clamp fits nicely in this location:

photo 5.jpg

I'm inclined to put the injector after the IC40 and see how it works. If I have any issues with the IntelliPH, I'll re-plumb the whole section to make it fit before the IC40.

Thanks for your help!

Honestly, I would redo the plumbing and raise the IC40 up higher so you have some run length of PVC going into the SWG as per the IC40 install manual.

It costs extra $$$ and time but, as my dad would hammer into my head, if it's a job worth doing, then you do it right and don't cut corners.

To each his own.....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Your dad was a wise man–just like mine! :hammer:

I did a bit more mental engineering. I believe I can rework the PVC to add a section of pipe on the filter outlet that will allow both the 12" run and fit the IntelliPH injector prior to the IC40. I'll cut the pipe at the filter outlet then put in a 6" length of pipe. Then add a T for the injector (about 4" long). Out of that I can put in the 90º and 45º couplings shown in the pics going into the IC40. To rotate everything about 12" away from the filter, I'll cut the PVC after the IC40 where it turns back down and glue it into its new place with another coupling. The only piece that I have to sacrifice of the current setup is the Pentair filter outlet union coupling–everything else can be reused as is. My estimate of cost is <$5 for the PVC fittings. However, the Pentair coupling is a proprietary part–you can only buy them in pairs and they cost $55!
:brickwall:

Your dad was a wise man–just like mine! :hammer:

I did a bit more mental engineering. I believe I can rework the PVC to add a section of pipe on the filter outlet that will allow both the 12" run and fit the IntelliPH injector prior to the IC40. I'll cut the pipe at the filter outlet then put in a 6" length of pipe. Then add a T for the injector (about 4" long). Out of that I can put in the 90º and 45º couplings shown in the pics going into the IC40. To rotate everything about 12" away from the filter, I'll cut the PVC after the IC40 where it turns back down and glue it into its new place with another coupling. The only piece that I have to sacrifice of the current setup is the Pentair filter outlet union coupling–everything else can be reused as is. My estimate of cost is <$5 for the PVC fittings. However, the Pentair coupling is a proprietary part–you can only buy them in pairs and they cost $55!
:brickwall:

Bummer. Figures Pentair would get you on that. But I think that plan is awesome especially since you can reuse a lot if the PVC. Waste not, want not!!

I think it's unfortunate that the installer welded the PVC elbows right on to the black IC40 couplings. They should have given you more pipe on each side. I just don't get these guys??? Does anyone read a stinkin' installation manual these days??? Maybe they were going for a tighter/cleaner look, dunno, but geez its right there in the install manual...

Post another pic when you're done so we can all celebrate you DIY triumph!!

Ordered the Pentair fittings today and they should arrive Weds or Thurs. I'll re-do the plumbing late next week and will post a pic when complete.

Totally agree the PB should've left a bit of "wiggle room" in all the plumbing. Unfortunately, I wasn't looking over their shoulders during that part of the install. Lesson learned!

Haven't forgotten this thread. The Pentair fittings took longer to arrive than I thought. Unfortunately, the daytime temps got ridiculous again here in Tucson-by-the-Sea and I'd much rather be in the pool than working on the pool plumbing! I've put in the IntellipH controller and the tank but am waiting for the weekend/cooler weather to do the final plumb in of the injector. "Before" and "After" pics to follow.
:sun:

Finally got the time (and cooler weather) to install IntellipH. "Before" pics are above in thread. "After" pics below. Just have to dial it in for my pool's acid use. Thanks for all the inputs and tips! :snorkle:

Attachments

• InjectorT.jpg
    InjectorT.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 237
  • NewpHInstall.jpg
    NewpHInstall.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 234
  • IC40Ext.jpg
    IC40Ext.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 231
You'll want to remove that check valve on the injector fitting. In about 4 months time, the acid will melt the check valve and stop the acid from injecting.

Thanks for the info. However, the check valve is required in my installation. They are easily replaceable and cost about $3 each. I got a package of 5 for $14 on eBay. My plan is to inspect that check valve (called a "duckbill" by Stenner) every time I clean my filters (~3 times per year).

Thanks for the info. However, the check valve is required in my installation. They are easily replaceable and cost about $3 each. I got a package of 5 for $14 on eBay. My plan is to inspect that check valve (called a "duckbill" by Stenner) every time I clean my filters (~3 times per year).

I am more referring to the enhanced ball check valve that you have on top of the duckbill. The duckbill should hold up to the acid fine.

Further, attaching the pump to the acid tank like you have it will corrode out the internals of the pump about 6x faster than normal. You need to locate the pump away from the tank.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.