Hot pump

Ty16

Jul 11, 2014
Winnipeg/Canada
The other day my pump (hayward super pump sp2607x10) stopped. It later started again. Did the same thing again and when I went to trouble shoot I **** near burnt my hand on the motor housing. There was some water under the pump on the ground. Water steamed off it when I dropped some on it.

I let it cool and took it apart. It was full of salt in the motor housing. Blocking the air vents. Cleaned it as best I could. Made sure the impeller was clean and not binding and replaced it to the plumbing. Runs again but still hot.

I've read a lot of the forums here but since I just bought my house last year in the summer I'm new to pools. The pool is only 4 years old. I've had it for 1.5 summers now. This year the chlorinator went bad (whole other story... Haha) but now the pump is acting up.

I'm not sure if it's "loud" or not. It makes a noise when it's running but nothing crazy loud. A steady humm.

Welcome to TFP.

I don't think the pump should be so hot it sizzles water drops and the skin off your hand. Hopefully someone will be along to help you. :goodjob:

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

If you had a build up of salt or just minerals from the water it's likely the front seal on the pump is starting to fail and it may have already damaged the front bearing on the motor. When you were in there cleaning out the cooling passages did you get a chance to spin the motors shaft and if so was it smooth and quiet ??
Just an FYI, I had a Superpump turn to trash when I couldn't get the four bolts out that go into metal inserts in it's plastic body. They were seized/rusted solid. My other superpump I replaced the short motor to impeller housing bolts (4) and the longer impeller housing to pump housing bolts (4) with stainless steel bolts from FleetFarm and lubed them with a bit of grease. Cheap insurance.

The seal is pretty easy especially if you've already had it apart. The bearing isn't but it depends on your skill and patience level ;)
Front seal : https://www.google.com/#q=youtube+super+pump+front+seal&spell=1 :google:
Bearings : https://www.google.com/#q=youtube+pool+pump+bearing+replacement :google:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.