Ascorbic Treatment to rid Pool of metal stains

boston62

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 7, 2014
Fort Myers, Florida
Pool Size
I was reading this it said to circulate the water, and then put it on filter, I don't have away to bypass the filter to circulate the water....should I add a bypass after the pump to bypass the filter in these cases?

Thanks

even though my pool chemistry is right on according to Taylor 2006, I started to get these brown stains, there is also a larger stain around the main drain, they started with a few round dots that did not brush away, but MA does remove them...

FC 6.5
CC 0
PH 7.6
TA 75
CH 350
CYA 75

You can do the entire AA treatment in filter mode if you don't have any way to bypass the filter.

Make sure you test with a vitamin C tablet to see if that will remove the stain in a local area before doing the full AA treatment. If the vitamin C tablet doesn't work, the AA treatment won't work.

There aren't enough situations where you need to bypass the filter to really justify adding a filter bypass. However, if you are upgrading the filter for some other reason, I would switch to a rotary multi-position valve.

Thanks for the help, when you say vitamin c tablet, you do mean what a person would swallow? I am still new to this so want to be sure...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Yes, a cheap vitamin C tablet. If you want, you can crush some up in a sock and hold/lay it on a stain. But, one tablet should do it just to verify if it works.

Yes, a cheap vitamin C tablet. If you want, you can crush some up in a sock and hold/lay it on a stain. But, one tablet should do it just to verify if it works.

if the vitamin c removes the stain, and you only have a few spots, and you remove them with the vitamin c, do you have do the AA, or will they just come back, why do metal stains appear? When I first took control of the pool from the pool company, the FC was at 16, but there were no metal stains..strange

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you only have a few stains, you could just use the crushed vit c in the sock method and move it around.

The metals causing the stains are coming from somewhere. You need to find the source and stop it, if possible.

To keep the stains from redepositing, you should add one of the recommended sequestrants.

Have you had your fill water tested for metals?

Is your fill water from a well or municipal water?

Have you added any algaecides containing metals?

Keeping pH under control is important. Has pH been high lately?

What is the pool surface? You can add that info in your sig for us. :smile:

- - - Updated - - -

Can you post a full set of test results for us? :testresults:

My test results

FC 6.5
CC 0
PH 7.6
TA 75
CH 350
CYA 75

I just checked I did add algaecides, and it did contain copper..I did put a 1000 g viatamin c tablet on the stain, but it hasn't done anything yet.

City water, plaster pool...

I added the algaecide because I thought it was algae...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

If you bought/used the more expensive Vit C tab, they are coated and may take longer to dissolve. You could still crush some in a sock :wink:

- - - Updated - - -

okay, no more algaecides for you! .....unless it is polyquat 60 - no harmful side effects.

What is the pool surface? vinyl, FG, plaster?

okay, thanks! If the vit c does not lighten the stain (after crushing some in a sock & trying it), try laying a trichlor puck on it for a few minutes.

The two spots that I put the vitamin c on turned darker around the stain spot I had, I tried brushing the larger area and it did nothing, I removed the tablets, the stain was bigger. I took my pvc pipe and set it over the stain and poured MA down the pipe which made the stain and the area light again...will try the puck now..

The two spots that I put the vitamin c on turned darker around the stain spot I had, I tried brushing the larger area and it did nothing, I removed the tablets, the stain was bigger. I took my pvc pipe and set it over the stain and poured MA down the pipe which made the stain and the area light again...will try the puck now..

The best treatment for copper stains is to never get them in the first place :smile:

They can be very difficult to remove, (often requiring a full drain and manual acid wash).
Since you do not have many, use your MA-down-the-pipe method :goodjob:

Good luck and post some pics for us.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.