Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA and Vacuuming

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA and Vacuuming

If I put the solid CYA in the skimmer (in one of those mesh bag deals) how long before it (84oz) typically dissolves so that I can vacuum or do you just take it out and vacuum than put it back in?
    Upstate, NY, Direct Sunlight, Above Ground (18'x 33' x 4'), Oval 15700 gallons, Vinyl; Hayward S180T sand filter; 1 HP motor; TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: CYA and Vacuuming

It is best if you take it out of the skimmer and hang it in the pool in front of a returning jet. You don't want the CYA to get stuck in your filter or risk clogging your plumbing.
    Karen
    33K IG w spa plaster, Pentair 1HP Whisperflo, DE Filter, SWG CircuPool RJ-60, Dolphin Triton Plus, Raypak Dig 336K BTU, TF-100.
    Pool Math Chlorine / CYA Chart SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    2017 replaster/retile

3. Back To Top    #3

In front of a return jet it usually takes a couple of days to dissolve. Putting it in the skimmer takes longer IIRC. The other good thing about hanging it from a stick in front of a return jet is that it doesn't interfere with anything you want to do with the pool, unless you poke your eye with the stick.
    Cedar hot tub, 680 US gallons - Snorkel wood-burning heater, canoe paddle, "offline" Intex 1000 GPH pump/filter with skimmer

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks, I figured it out. Seems to disperse quickly in front of the return. My 42 oz bag that I hung is already gone that I put in about 4pm yesterday
    Upstate, NY, Direct Sunlight, Above Ground (18'x 33' x 4'), Oval 15700 gallons, Vinyl; Hayward S180T sand filter; 1 HP motor; TF-100

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

If you knead the bag you can get it done in about 10 minutes if you have the patience and are in a hurry to get it in there. I'll usually put it in a skimmer as it's just easier and then once in a while squeeze the sock, wringing it out like a wash cloth and then swishing it around to get more water in and wringing it out again. Depending on how many times and how long I do it each time it's usually gone in a day or two. Once the sock is empty it still can take up to a week for it to show up in a CYA test so save your chems and give it a week before retesting. You also need to refrain from backwashing for that week too or you may be flushing the CYA you just added back out.

If you needed to vacuum you want to take it out of the skimmer so it's not in the way.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!