Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: High FC and pH testing

1. Back To Top    #1

High FC and pH testing

I am aware the FC levels of greater than 10ppm will affect pH testing. And, one can dilute the pH test sample with distilled water in order to overcome the issue. My question is there any other reliable way to compensate for higher FC and pH testing?

such as;

1) Using a scale to adjust for the testing error? That is... if FC levels = XXppm greater than 10ppm, compensate result by X.XpH?

or

2) Adding two drops of the R-0007 (sodium thiosulfate) chlorine neutralizer prior to testing pH?

If I'm way off track (not uncommon for me), please let me know.

Thanks,
    Splash
    Last edited by Big Splash; 07-11-2014 at 01:35 PM. Reason: typo
    19.5k gal, 16x32 vinyl liner, sand filter, 1hp single speed pump, K-2006 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: High FC and pH testing

No and no. Sorry. I have never tried the dilution method myself.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    No and no. Sorry. I have never tried the dilution method myself.
    Jason, thanks for the reply. 50/50 sample and distilled water works fine. Just looking to simplify while keeping at higher FC levels. I'm keeping my FC right about 10ppm with my CYA at 60. I have constant leaves dumping into my pool.
    19.5k gal, 16x32 vinyl liner, sand filter, 1hp single speed pump, K-2006 test kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

FC at 10 shouldn't be a problem for the Taylor PH test. Between 10 and 15 it only reads a little high, close enough for most use.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion View Post
    FC at 10 shouldn't be a problem for the Taylor PH test. Between 10 and 15 it only reads a little high, close enough for most use.

And thank you Jason

Maybe I'll post a comparison of tests if I ever need to SLAM again. I hope I would not need to do that, but it might be informative.