Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: HELP! New pool owner

1. Back To Top    #1

La Porte, IN

HELP! New pool owner

Hi there,
    I am new to this forum and also new to owning a pool
    This looks like an amazing community where everyone helps everyone!
    My husband and I are very clueless pool owners and are trying to learn more, but there is so much to know! We have only been in charge of our new pool for about 6 weeks (the previous owners opened it for us). The pool was doing great until this week is started getting cloudy….the previous owner told my husband to shock the pool every time it rains so he's been doing that. I tested our water today and here are the readings:

TH = 1,000
    FC = 0/0
    PH = 7.8
    TA = 180
    CYA = 0

It seems all our levels (except maybe PH) are off! Especially TA and TH!!

Any advice??

Thanks in advance!

11,880K Gallons, IG, Vinyl
    Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand Filter Model #S244T
    Hayward Super Pump Self Priming
    Aquabot TURBO T Vaccuum
    Well Water

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: HELP! New pool owner

Welcome to TFP!

It would be a huge help if you got a better test kit, like one of the ones we recommend (TF100, K-2006). Test strips are just not very reliable, especially the CYA test. They also measure total hardness, which isn't the number we really need (calcium hardness).

Could you do a quick test on the fill water? I would like to get some idea of what the TH level of your fill water is.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School