Need some advice on how to move forward

Yes, drain the water and replace first. The current salt content of your pool cannot be read by the SWG and we will not know if it functions properly until the salt is in the correct range. Is your pool plaster or vinyl liner? The composition of your pool surface and the water table where your pool is located will tell us how much water you can safely drain at a time. It may take a series of partial drain and refill cycles to get your pool in the correct salt level.

The pool is vinyl and the water table is high so I definitely need to keep that in mind. I will drop it to even with the first step like I did last time and see how that works. The pool is approximately 22,000 gallons so i guess I need big water replacements to move the salt content down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The OP has another post on the same topic. I have read through both and I haven't seen a consistent story that tells me his salt is really 44,000. Before doing 90% water replacement I would verify salt level.

JD, in the future keep all your related posts in the same thread so people can follow what's going on.

The OP has another post on the same topic. I have read through both and I haven't seen a consistent story that tells me his salt is really 44,000. Before doing 90% water replacement I would verify salt level.

JD, in the future keep all your related posts in the same thread so people can follow what's going on.

I stated at the beginning of this thread that I posted in the other section but that the questions were related to swg so I started posting here, the story has been consistent, as was stated in a previous thread the pool store quoted me 44,000 with the caveat that I did not see the results of their test and that I used a aqua test strip that put the salt level at 4,000 or so, and that I had a Taylor salt kit coming on Monday to get the answer for myself. Another person responded that I had to bring the salt level down before I did anything else because 4,000 is still too high.

JD,

Let's all get back on the same page. Keep all your posts here in this thread and tell us your current salt level and when it was tested.
So I guess I need to 1st drain the pool down enough to where I can get the salt level to normal and then deal with the algae and other issues??
Absolutely! This will get all of us all talking about the same thing and able to help you get up and running. :D

Every one of us on this forum started with ZERO knowledge so sometimes we assume too much and then jump ahead too fast because we have been doing this a long time.

JD,

Let's all get back on the same page. Keep all your posts here in this thread and tell us your current salt level and when it was tested. Absolutely! This will get all of us all talking about the same thing and able to help you get up and running. :D

Every one of us on this forum started with ZERO knowledge so sometimes we assume too much and then jump ahead too fast because we have been doing this a long time.

Ok sounds good, I will drain the water down on Monday since I am out of town until then and will post when complete. I appreciate everyone's feedback and look forward to a clear pool!

I am back at my house and tested the water when I got in last night and the salt reading was 6200 and then some very heavy rain storms moved in throughout the night and after retesting a few minutes ago it was 5200. I guess either way the salt level is way too high and I will start the draining process. My question is before I start is if it would be a better idea to get a water truck to refill the pool and would using a water truck fix the level with one drain/refill.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I was thinking the same thing, it could have been operator error when I did the first test, even though the weather channel said that we got a few inches of rain last night.

- - - Updated - - -

52% of the water to get it to 2500

I have the salt level at 2600 according to the Taylor kit, and the algae is now gone. I have determined that the swg cell was not functioning any longer after speaking to hayward. I have the new cell and was wondering if it is ok to start using the cell or should I wait until I get the rest of the water settings figured out?

Since it's brand new I'd follow the directions it came with as far as what water chemistry Hayward wants before you plug it in.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.