Keep this sand filter?

RH60

Jul 12, 2012
Richmond, Va.
Did I get ripped off? Ordered a sand filter online from Poolsupplies.com
I ordered a Hayward S180T PRO sand filter that takes 150 lb sand. What they sent was a SandMaster SM1906T that takes 175lbs sand. Looks like the SandMaster brand is also made by Hayward.
But it is not what I ordered or what is listed on the invoice. Is this a cheaper brand?

This may even be with a Hayward, but I don’t like the way you install the valve. Before you put in the sand it just has a piece of cardboard shaped like a tent that is suppose to cover the vertical stand pipe and hold the top of the pipe in place while you install the sand. The bottom of the pipe is not held by anything. My old 25 year old Jacuzzi brand sand filter had something in the bottom of the tank to hold the bottom of the stand pipe in place. And then the top of the pipe had a cap to protect it when installing sand. And also a strainer basket that held the top of the pipe in place so it always would line up when you install the valve.

I am worried on this new filter that I may have trouble installing it since it may be hard to line up the valve with only a piece of cardboard as a guide.

I did call Hayward and they said it is just as good as the pro series.

Thanks for any suggestions

I believe that is very close to equivalent to the S180T, but from Hayward's Canadian product line. General quality/features should be the same.

I wouldn't call it a rip off exactly, since it is from the same product group and a slight larger size, but that isn't what you ordered.

Same thing happened to me...same E-bay vendor.....Ordered a hayward s244t sand filter...fed ex came today and I got a "Sandmaster" filter made by Hayward of Canada.

Looks to be a decent unit...hayward valve etc....the hayward unit I am replacing doesnt have anything that holds the lateral assembly either, and it has worked fine for 10+ years so that's not a concern to me. What does bother me is it is NOT what was advertised, and not what I thought I was buying. I had spoken with a salesman twice on the phone before I bought the filter and he could have mentioned that it was not a Hayward US model but a canadian version !!!!

Sort of a "bait and switch" to me but....if it is the same filter , made by the same company I'm good with that. I know a lot of companies manufacture products and put a different label on them. Example....Sears Die Hard batteries are made by Exide...so are Harley Davidson batteries and a few others...all the same battery with different names and prices.

The only difference I see are the part #'s of the filters..comparing my old to the new. Still a Hayward quality unit...I hope.

You need to rethink that same battery different name and price. It's made by the same company but not necessarily made to the same specifications with the same materials, construction, thickness, ... The case itself is likely the same material across the board but the guts of the battery can be very different.
In some cases it might be exactly the same with a different label but it's also possible the guts are better or worse.
With the Hayward you'd want to make sure of the flow rate and the quality of the materials. If you are in the US you'd want to make sure of the parts availability compared to the US model. Would be a pain if they aren't stocked locally and you break something and need to wait weeks for it to come in. The Canadian model could be a re-badged USA model or it could be a slightly redesigned one or a separately designed one with almost nothing in common or interchangeable with the US model due to import restrictions or allowable materials.
You might want to go to the Hayward site and see if things you might need in the future, O-rings, laterals, spider gasket ... is the same as the US model or if not how easily available they are.

I would want an explanation of why what showed up wasn't what you ordered or paid for without some form of authorization from you for the acceptance of a substitution. But I'm prickly, it's just me.

My Hayward S270T that I installed is the same way. Laterals sit just above the bottom of the tank, resting above a ring on the bottom. It would be more reassuring if it mounted in a specific location better but my installation and addition of sand went fine with the cardboard diverter. If you're concerned about it, you can always put a small plastic bag over the top of the standpipe, below the cardboard diverter when adding sand.

You need to rethink that same battery different name and price. It's made by the same company but not necessarily made to the same specifications with the same materials, construction, thickness, ... The case itself is likely the same material across the board but the guts of the battery can be very different.
In some cases it might be exactly the same with a different label but it's also possible the guts are better or worse.
With the Hayward you'd want to make sure of the flow rate and the quality of the materials. If you are in the US you'd want to make sure of the parts availability compared to the US model. Would be a pain if they aren't stocked locally and you break something and need to wait weeks for it to come in. The Canadian model could be a re-badged USA model or it could be a slightly redesigned one or a separately designed one with almost noting in common or interchangeable with the US model due to import restrictions or allowable materials.
You might want to go to the Hayward site and see if things you might need in the future, O-rings, laterals, spider gasket ... is the same as the US model or if not how easily available they are.

I would want an explanation of why what showed up wasn't what you ordered or paid for without some form of authorization from you for the acceptance of a substitution. But I'm prickly, it's just me.

I agree that all products made by the same company may not be of equal quality....but this a plastic vessel that holds sand with a new in the box Hayward SP0714t valve and a Hayward poly base...I mean really, how much difference could it be.
I can tell you that compared to the 21" Hayward that I am replacing, this tank is much beefier...I know its bigger but it seems thicker to me.

I spoke with the company I bought it from this morning and the salesman told me that they save money by buying the canadian brandes filters since they are close to the border. I explained to him that I was not please with the mis-leading info in his ad and he asked what he could do to make it right...he then told me he would send a call tag and have it picked up for a full refund....I told him I would get back to him. So know its time to make a decision.

Since I am having a new pool installed tomorrow and want it up and running by thursday...Im kinda stuck !!

I agree with you it's likely the same but I'd go to the Hayward site and compare part numbers to see if they use the same parts.
If they do you got a deal and need to keep them from taking it back !!!

That or call a local pool store with your filters info and see if they carry the common O rings and the laterals. If they do, you have a great deal.

In the owners manual or set-up instructions should be a parts list and try an online pool store to see if they stock the common stuff, if they do it's a great deal.

Any one of the above should be able to let you know if you got more than you paid for and it is a better filter for the pool and the parts are available should you need them.

That said I think you're good and you got a deal but I'd check to make sure.
I'd just rather find out before you can't return it and five years down the line you're blowing sand into the pool and someone on the phone tells you that the part isn't available "here" and refers you to a guy speaking French in Quebec :shaking:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.