Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Are there any problems with worn marcite that exposes concrete other than cosmetic?

1. Back To Top    #1

Are there any problems with worn marcite that exposes concrete other than cosmetic?

I just grabbed this image off Google. I have a spot that looks similar, but not as bad.

I found this much elsewhere "A worn surface can stain more easily, promote algae growth not to mention be rough to the touch."

Can there be more serious problems?
    22,000 gallon in ground, gunite, Hayward pump 1.5 hp and 36sq DE filter. Pool installation date unknown, at least 10 years. Screened enclosure.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Are there any problems with worn marcite that exposes concrete other than cosmeti

You have it just about right. If it is severely worn (much worse than in picture) it will also leak, though only fairly slowly.

If you can live with the appearance and run at slightly higher than normal FC levels you can often put off resurfacing the pool for years.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Are there any problems with worn marcite that exposes concrete other than cosmeti

Like mine used to look. Biggest problem I had was black algae will get in there. Black algae is a real pain to deal with too.

Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!