First test New pool

Jun 22, 2014
West Virginia
Hello, this is my first pool and my first test on this pool using a AquaCheck test strips. The results are not what what I was hoping...

PH = 6.2
Chlorine = 10
Alkalinity = 30
Stabilizer = 0

Now from reading "Pool School" right now I should be concerned with the PH and Chlorine levels? Now reading the paperwork with the test kit it says I need to Add 1.5 LB of Soda Ash to raise PH but im not quite understanding the rest.... The Chlorine is a auto chlorinator and I was told to put it on full so I just turned it half way up. Suggestions?

Oh my water is crystal clear......

Definitely raise the PH first. I suspect it will take way more than 1.5 lbs. I recommend adding 2 lbs, give it an hour to mix in, test the PH and repeat until the PH is at least 7.2.

One the PH is in range (7.2 to 7.8) check the TA again and adjust TA if needed.

It seems like you can turn down the chlorinator to lower than half way. Finding the correct spot on the dial often takes a week or two of fine-tuning, and then will change slowly from there.

Ok, should I raise the Alkalinity first to stabilize PH when I do raise it? OR just raise the PH first?
Soda ash will raise both pH and TA. "Definitely raise the PH first. I suspect it will take way more than 1.5 lbs. I recommend adding 2 lbs, give it an hour to mix in, test the PH and repeat until the PH is at least 7.2.

One the PH is in range (7.2 to 7.8) check the TA again and adjust TA if needed."

I have to jump in and point out that we put very little faith in test results that come from test strips. You would have a much better understanding of the pool with one of the recommended drop-based test kits.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.