Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: A few questions about a swimming pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

A few questions about a swimming pool?

I am building an in ground concrete swimming pool, it is now constructed with all the plumbing in place and I am wondering what the highest quality and lowest maintenance pool filter and pump manufacturer to purchase for my new pool would be. Thank you so much

2. Back To Top    #2
    SW Louisiana

Re: A few questions about a swimming pool?

There are basically 3 types of pool filters, sand, cartridge and DE. Sand is likely the lowest maintenance, or at least the least messy maintenance but consume the most water due to backwashing, so if you have water use or discharge limitations it may not be a good choice. Cartridge and DE filters are going to be generally comparable on the amount of maintenance needed with the DE also having backwash discharge issues.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3

Battle Creek, MI

Re: A few questions about a swimming pool?

Not all D.E. filters backwash, per se. I have a Hayward "bump" type filter that requires semi-regular freeing of the accumulated filtered particles and only occasional flushing. And I use cellulose Fiber Clear instead of the diatomaceous earth.
    18'x4' AG Intex Ultra Frame, 6,700 gal., assembled new 2013; Mods: Hayward EC50C90 Perflex filter & 1 h.p. PowerFlo Matrix pump, Fiber Clear cellulose D.E. substitute, Hayward H100ID1 100,000 BTU NG heater, a pair of 2'x20' Sungrabber solar heaters via the original Intex 635T pump, grey Hydro Tools through-the-wall skimmer, Confer steps/ladder system & Cover Free chemical pool cover. The Summer of Mods!