Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Clear PVC for discharge?

1. Back To Top    #1

Clear PVC for discharge?

I have just (properly) buried plumbing to allow me to replace the standard "cheap rubber hose" filter backwash discharge, rolled out onto my driveway, with much better solution of permanent solid rigid pipe run to an appropriate area.

I have run 1.5" PVC to the pad, ready to plumb into the sand filter discharge, but I've reached a point of confusion. Currently, the filter has a nice little clear section of plastic(PVC?) that the cheap rubber hose clamps onto. Watching this "window" is how I tell when the backwash is running clear, ready for rinse.

I believe I should replace that little clear piece intended for rubber clamp on hose, with a similar solid clear piece that can be glued into typical schedule 40 PVC, however, I can't find such a piece. The people at the local pool stores think I'm crazy to even think such a thing exists. I know clear (pvc glue compatable) check valves exist...why can't I find a 3"-6" long clear plastic 1.5" pvc part? Of course, I guess I could buy a clear check valve, but I don't really need the check valve functionality.

Based on structural support for the pipes, I'd rather not have my discharge terminate at the filter with a piece of flexible tube, which seems to be what the local pool shops think I should do.

Am I thinking about this wrong? Where can I find a short piece of clear, rigid, 1.5" schedule 40?

Thanks.
    Fayetteville, NY -17K gal, IG vinyl, Hayward SP2300VSP Max-Flo Variable Speed Pump, FlowVis Flow Meter, Sand filter
    Self designed Arduino powered automation for pump and solar control, Solar Attic Pool Heater, AutoPilot Digital SWG, TF100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Clear PVC for discharge?

I quick google search for "Clear PVC pipe" came up with dozens of places.

-dave
    27' Round ABG (17,000 gal) - +/- 11 hours of full sun per day
    Hard plumbed Hayward Perflex EC-40 DE filter w/ 1 HP pump (Got a new one June 2015)
    Filered 4 hours per day (on a timer)
    Pentair Aqualuminator - now working - and now dead once again, this time for good.
    Zodiac Wahoo

3. Back To Top    #3

Your sand filter multiport valve doesn't have a sight glass to view the water during backwash/rinse? Like the clear plastic vial on this picture?

Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

4. Back To Top    #4

No sight port like that.

I was thinking and hoping this would be a somewhat standard pool fitting.
    Fayetteville, NY -17K gal, IG vinyl, Hayward SP2300VSP Max-Flo Variable Speed Pump, FlowVis Flow Meter, Sand filter
    Self designed Arduino powered automation for pump and solar control, Solar Attic Pool Heater, AutoPilot Digital SWG, TF100

5. Back To Top    #5

To attach solid pipe, I need to take off the part that is designed as the sight. It's a cheap Waterway sand filter...standard issue from the pool builder.

6. Back To Top    #6
    45'x12' 17k gal, IG plaster, Pool Pilot Nano+ SWG, 1/2hp Whisperflo pump, PAC-FAB TA-60D sand filter, Raypak 266 heater
    Pool School + Test Kit + Pool Math = Trouble Free Pool

7. Back To Top    #7

Yes zimm, that's like exactly what I want to do, but without the flex pipe, and without spending like $60 for a 6" piece of pipe.

Dave - Many of those options are not suitable for direct sunlight applications.

I think I have an idea about how to do flex without undue pipe stress...run it vertically...top will have support from the pump. That's probably a good enough solution for what I need. Thanks zimm for the photo, seeing your application helped me rethink this.

8. Back To Top    #8

Search for Clear sight glass and you should find some pieces that will work for you. They even have unions on each end.

Amazon even has a few specifically for pools.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit