Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cloudy water and wont hold chlorine

1. Back To Top    #1

Parkersburg WV

Cloudy water and wont hold chlorine

We have and 24' ag pool that we put up 3 years ago and have had nothing but trouble keeping the water clear. This year we replaced the liner, filled it up and it had nice clear water. Shocked it (with shock I had left over from last year and kept inside) and it went cloudy. We have added 2.5 cases of shock and it STILL wont hold chlorine. The pool company sold us flocculant and we used as directed and pool water was almost clear, started adding shock again and it went back to being cloudy and still wont hold chlorine. Tired of spending money and getting NO RESULTS. PLEASE HELP!

2. Back To Top    #2

Gardiner, ME

Re: Cloudy water and wont hold chlorine

Step one stop adding shock
    Step one.5, go read pool school
    Step two, go buy a GOOD test kit
    Step three, get all your levels in check including CYA ( protects your chlorine )
    24 ft Sharkline Matrix AG
    Waterway 1HP 2SPD Sand Filter 100lb sand capacity, using 50lb of ZeoSand
    TAYLOR K-2006 test kit.
    Installed Spring 2013
    16x16 Deck Going up Soon.

3. Back To Top    #3

Dallas, TX

Welcome to TFP!

Please post an accurate set of full test results. Chances are your CYA is out of range due to using tablets and/or shock products and your chlorine is no longer effective.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Lincoln Park, NJ

Soley based on what you've written, it sounds like you have no CYA (chlorine stabilizer) in the pool, are using Cal-Hypo to shock the pool, and you may have excessively hard water. The use of Cal-Hypo in combination with excessively hard water may be what's causing the cloudiness (experts, please correct me if I'm wrong). If your pool gets a lot of sun, whatever chlorine you're pouring will be eaten up by the sun VERY quickly without any CYA.

What are you using to test your pool chemistry? It's pretty much impossible to succeed w/o a quality test kit.
    Pool: 19K IG, Vinyl, grecian
    Equipment: Hayward Super Pump (1hp), Cartridge Filter