Can't get fc to 15 ppm

Jul 8, 2014
Victorville, CA
I have been in the bacqua conversion for 3 weeks. The highest I have been able to get my fc is 10ppm. Pool is crystal clear but have high cc. Have not added cya because the instructions say to wait until pool holds 15 ppm and only loses 1 ppm. Should I asdd cya anyways? I live in the desert and pool has full sun all day, is that why the water can't hold the fc? Not sure what to do at this point.

The part about holding 15ppm and only losing 1ppm refers to over night testing, so having sun all day wouldn't matter. If you still have high CC and it's not holding 15 fc overnight with a loss of 1 or less, it doesn't sound like your done or ready for CYA yet.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/136-perform-the-overnight-fc-chlorine-loss-test-oclt

If your going through too much chlorine for your liking, you could focus on night and early morning testing and additions when there is none or little sun.

Welcome to TFP!

What you describe is normal for someone about 1/3 of the way through a conversion. You are reaching the point where it starts to be more efficient to add chlorine in the evening rather than all the time. Once you can maintain any FC level you start to lose more chlorine to sunlight than to the conversion process. Adding chlorine in the evening (night) eliminates these sun loses. Note that the conversion will move along more quickly if you add chlorine during the day, but you will use up a lot more chlorine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.