Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can't get fc to 15 ppm

1. Back To Top    #1

Can't get fc to 15 ppm

I have been in the bacqua conversion for 3 weeks. The highest I have been able to get my fc is 10ppm. Pool is crystal clear but have high cc. Have not added cya because the instructions say to wait until pool holds 15 ppm and only loses 1 ppm. Should I asdd cya anyways? I live in the desert and pool has full sun all day, is that why the water can't hold the fc? Not sure what to do at this point.
    6000 gallon above ground pool. Cartridge filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can't get fc to 15 ppm

The part about holding 15ppm and only losing 1ppm refers to over night testing, so having sun all day wouldn't matter. If you still have high CC and it's not holding 15 fc overnight with a loss of 1 or less, it doesn't sound like your done or ready for CYA yet.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...loss-test-oclt

If your going through too much chlorine for your liking, you could focus on night and early morning testing and additions when there is none or little sun.
    12500 gallons, 24 foot round above ground
    Hayward Sand filter, Pentair OptiFlo 1HP 2-Speed pump

3. Back To Top    #3

Ok, Thanks. I will try nightime testing and adding chlorine. Time to go to the store and get some more.

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP!

What you describe is normal for someone about 1/3 of the way through a conversion. You are reaching the point where it starts to be more efficient to add chlorine in the evening rather than all the time. Once you can maintain any FC level you start to lose more chlorine to sunlight than to the conversion process. Adding chlorine in the evening (night) eliminates these sun loses. Note that the conversion will move along more quickly if you add chlorine during the day, but you will use up a lot more chlorine.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you for the welcome, I will continue to add chlorine during the day as well as in the evening. Maybe I'll get to swim before the end of summer, I hope.