Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2014 Weather

1. Back To Top    #1

2014 Weather

I just want to complain about something that no one can change. In my opinion, the weather in 2014 has been the absolute worst. We had a winter that would not end and a summer that just won't come. In Florida, we get rain and it's cool - afternoon thunderstorms that last an hour and then business as usual. This year, we have had more cloudy days than not and it just rains and rains. I drain several inches from the pool every other day. It is July and I have only been in the pool twice because, with my little solar heater, I havent gotten enough sun to warm the pool beyond 82. Last summer, we consistently maintained 86. This year, I am only getting about 1-2 hours of sun on the heater. Oh well, maybe things will improve next week!
    Sharkline Reprieve 15x52 (3/14). Still using Intex 2650 Sand Filter with Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump (6/15). Solar Cover cut into strips for easy removal, (2) 2*10 Space Saver solar panels. Swim Jet HD Robot (by Aquabot) (3/15). Chlorine Liquidator (4 gal). 4 person hot tub. Hard pipe is the way to go for improved flow! Retired Lil Shark (3/15). Starite Max E Therm 333k BTU Propane Heater w/ 24 gal tank (7/15).

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 2014 Weather

I won't complain after the winter we had here in SWPA! I work outside and doing perimeter in -20 below zero in the middle of the night was BRUTAL! I was wearing my hunting clothes to work.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

It's been cooler than normal here in DFW too, at least up until the past couple of days. Had a pool party a couple of weeks ago and had to run the heater for a couple of hours - not for my sake but for the sake of our guests. I was a little concerned that the 82F water would be a bit chilly for some, so I ran the heater until it got up to 85F. Running the heater in June was previously unprecedented for me.

This weekend will be very summer-like with temps within a degree or so either side of 100F. However, next week a big cool-down is expected. Although we may get some beneficial rain out of it, mid-week temps may struggle to reach 80F which I cannot ever remember happening here in July.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

4. Back To Top    #4

This certainly has been a cool year so far. Normally this time of year my pool is around 96-98, but currently it's been sitting at 90-92. I'm really glad I have my home-made heater (should be in my signature) and a solar blanket, or my pool would probably be in the 70s or 80s. Next week is supposed to really cool off, but hopefully my pool will stay swimmable.
    John
    7 year old ~13,500 gal 24' AGP with 1.5 hp Proline pump, 150 sqft Pleatco cartridge, filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.
    Wanda the Whale pool vacuum, home made heater, Taylor K-2006
    Cloudy Pool? 1) Order test kit. 2) Follow SLAM
    New to TFPC? Read Pool School a few times, then post questions. PoolMath will help with chemical additions.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by JohnN View Post
    This certainly has been a cool year so far. Normally this time of year my pool is around 96-98, but currently it's been sitting at 90-92. I'm really glad I have my home-made heater (should be in my signature) and a solar blanket, or my pool would probably be in the 70s or 80s. Next week is supposed to really cool off, but hopefully my pool will stay swimmable.
    Wow 96-98 degrees.....I was just saying that ours at 91 degrees was feeling a bit too warm for me. My sisters agp in NJ is generally in the 70's to maybe 80. She has no heater. They generally float around rather than swim.
    Finally completed March 2014
    IG 27,300 gal 35'x16' 3.5'/5.5'/8' diving pool, Pentair Intellichlor IC40, De FNS 60, 3HP Intelliflo VF pump, Easy Touch 4, Kreapy Krauly Platnium, 3/4 Hp booster pump, raised stone wall w/ 2 stone scuppers, Stonescapes aqua blue mini pebble plaster

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

I would be happy with 82 degree water, ha ha. It will get to 80, then rain, no sun, for a few days, back to 75-77 degrees. We swim anyway!
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Wow, we're in the pool just about every day. The weather here has been warm and humid, but recently has dried out to just warm which is fine with me. I agree about the winter being a tad
    bit too much and summer taking a bit to get here, but for the past several weeks it's been pretty good. Who would've thunk it that someone located in New England is having better
    swimming weather than others! I guess after the bombardment of snow we got and usually get each year, we deserve it more LOL. Hopefully you other snow locales can start benefitting from
    the months of torment. Hope things pick up for you.

John
    IG 33K Gallons 20'X40', Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter S310T2 (zeolite), Pentair Intelliflo 3HP SVRS Pump

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by 737mech View Post
    Wow 96-98 degrees.....I was just saying that ours at 91 degrees was feeling a bit too warm for me. My sisters agp in NJ is generally in the 70's to maybe 80. She has no heater. They generally float around rather than swim.
    I might be wrong about 98, I'm not sure if the pool has ever gotten that warm. I am sure that the pool usually gets to about 96, which is hot. I go in, but I never really enjoy it. I don't do anything to cool off the pool, because I need all the heat I can get for later in the season.
    John
    7 year old ~13,500 gal 24' AGP with 1.5 hp Proline pump, 150 sqft Pleatco cartridge, filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.
    New to TFPC? Read Pool School a few times, then post questions. PoolMath will help with chemical additions.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by PAGirl View Post
    I would be happy with 82 degree water, ha ha. It will get to 80, then rain, no sun, for a few days, back to 75-77 degrees. We swim anyway!
    That's me exactly. I have gotten up to 84 but it quickly returns to 80-82. Sometimes, if I squint and hold the thermometer at a 32.7 degree angle, I see 83. Lol. Just when I think we are heading up, here comes a week of clouds. I guess I should be happy that I have not had to run my sprinklers but, there is a chance the pool is going to float away. I am going away for a few days and I am trying to figure out who I want to train on the draining procedures. As simple s it is for me, I realize not everyone is capable. I have learned this the hard way.
    Sharkline Reprieve 15x52 (3/14). Still using Intex 2650 Sand Filter with Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump (6/15). Solar Cover cut into strips for easy removal, (2) 2*10 Space Saver solar panels. Swim Jet HD Robot (by Aquabot) (3/15). Chlorine Liquidator (4 gal). 4 person hot tub. Hard pipe is the way to go for improved flow! Retired Lil Shark (3/15). Starite Max E Therm 333k BTU Propane Heater w/ 24 gal tank (7/15).

10. Back To Top    #10

Our pool in SWPA has only briefly made it to the low 80's this year and with next weeks "summer" polar vortex predicted I am afraid it will be back into the low 70's again
    24' Above Ground Round vinyl
    DE Filter pump 1HP
    Flow Rate 39GPM
    14700 gallon

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

I'm surprised at the low 80's of a pool in FL. I'm in SC and two weeks ago my water temp was 90. It didn't feel refreshing to me and I was wanting my cooler running. A few cloudy cooler days brought us back to the sweet spot of about 86.
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

12. Back To Top    #12

My home made hack job wood fired heater is just barely keeping up with the cooler weather. I'm able to keep the pool between 84 and 88, with daytime highs in the high 70's to low 80's. The past few days we've had temps in the 90's, but that's not going to last long.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

13. Back To Top    #13

Pool has been high 90's all summer here. I ran my solar for a few nights last week to drop it into the high 80's for a more refreshing swim
    Nathan
    15x30 gunite 18k gallons Hayward star clear plus 120sqft cart

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by rdw1961 View Post
    Our pool in SWPA has only briefly made it to the low 80's this year and with next weeks "summer" polar vortex predicted I am afraid it will be back into the low 70's again
    I was just telling hubby I got the pool back to 80 with the solar cover and we're about to dip into the 50's for over night temps and I'm afraid I'll be back into the low 70's again. It'll take me a week to recover all that heat with the solar cover! BOOOOOOOOOO!!!

15. Back To Top    #15

TFP Guide

With a high of 69 next week, I'll be lucky if my water is 75!
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

16. Back To Top    #16

I hear you PAGirl! We're suppose to get some nasty thunderstorms tomorrow (hope the hold off so I can take the baby in the pool) and then the temps are going to drop!

17. Back To Top    #17

As was the case several times this past winter, the revised forecast is showing even lower temps than the previous forecast. Thursday's forecast high is now in the upper 70's - for DFW in July! If that's not an outright record for the lowest high temp for that date, it certainly has to be flirting with one.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

18. Back To Top    #18

I couldn't agree more f3justusc... As you know, we're right down the road from you, and it's been one torrential downpour after another... And almost always on the weekend when we could have possibly enjoyed the pool. Hopefully the rain will give us a break soon. I had it crystal clear on Saturday morning, and by afternoon the rain came and messed up my plans to swim in the water. Wound up getting in later, but the water cools off so fast with these hard rains.
    Installed May 2014 - 16' x 48" Summer Escapes Pro Series Pool AG Vinyl (6,000 gal) - Intex 2650 Sand Filter - Christmas, FL

19. Back To Top    #19

DFW Texas here and we just had our first triple digit day yesterday. My pool water was too cold for me until just a couple of weeks ago - unheard of! And now we are supposed to go as low as 69 degrees this week. In July in Texas? This is crazy. It is promising to bring as much as 5 inches of rain and since we are so desperate for water I will take it without a word of complaint. Just hoping to avoid another pool flood. And that is something that I should never have to worry about!
    ~18,000 gallon
    DE filter/chlorine
    IG Grey Plaster
    25 year old pool w a facelift in 2014

20. Back To Top    #20

Well, the past 2 days have been interesting... The pool was probably in the low to mid 90s. Then we got almost 8.5" of rain (literally- my manual rain gauge measured 5.91" Monday, and 2.52" Tuesday) so now my pool is down to 86*. I can't imagine what this rain did to all of my chemical levels, and I haven't been out to test in the past 2 days to test because of all this rain. I'm going to put up a separate post just for entertainment purposes to detail what 8+" of rain in 2 days can do to a pool.
    John

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast