Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hayward Superpump Leaking

1. Back To Top    #1
    Warner Robins, GA

Hayward Superpump Leaking

I noticed a slight leak under the pump. From all I'm reading on the forum it seems like it may be the shaft seal. I ordered a "tune up" kit for the pump and plan to make repairs myself. However, my time is very limited. So... I run my pump about 8 hours a day. Can anyone tell me how long the "slight leak" may last before the pump fails completely or is it just a "**** shoot"?

Thank you.
    Barry, Central GA
    15X36 IG 14,200 gal fiberglass pool. Hayward Sand Filter with 1 HP Hayward SUPER PUMP. Pentaire "Kreepy Krawly Robotic Cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2
    SW PA

Re: Hayward Superpump Leaking

Well, I don't think anyone can guess the death of your pump, just like no one can guess the day we expire. It's a wait and see type deal. If you can fix it, you should do so.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

Perrysburg, OH

It will probably last quite a while. The thing to pay attention to is the sound of the motor. If it starts getting louder than your bearings are going... Changing the seal should take less than an hour depending on how easy it is to access your pump. Probably only 4 bolts holding the motor to the pump, disconnect them, rebuild the pump, bolt them back together and your good to go...

4. Back To Top    #4
    Long Island, NY

My Superpump was leaking and I kind of dragged my feet getting to it. Finally ordered the seal kit and the motor went from "quiet" to "rocks in a blender" overnight waiting for the seal kit to show up...shot bearings. I'd recommend to do it sooner than later.
    19,200 Vinyl IG, Hayward 1HP Super Pump, Hayward DE-2400 Filter, Stenner 45MHP10 with 15 gallon tank, Dolphin Nautilus, Roof Mounted SunGrabber Solar Panels with separate 3/4HP pump and self-designed solar pump controller. Stand alone 4 person MasterSpa hot tub.