Troubled intex pool owner

Jul 11, 2014
kissimmee, florida
Hello and good day to all present members. My name is Jeffrey, a newbie here on the site. I am a 60 year old, 100% disabled Viet-nam veteran with overwhelming medical issues which include problems now emerging with comprehension and retention. So if i inadvertently do something wrong, please let me know but your kindness will go a long way.

My doctor ordered daily hydrotherapy and it all but destroyed my family life commuting an hour each way and 90 minutes there. So i decided i could do the same thing with a pool in my back yard. But all but impossible for me to afford because i am trying to get by on only a small disability pension. A neighbor moved and gave me an 18 X 48", foot AG pool. But had no filtration, no pump, nothing but the pool. So I found and bought a 2100GPH sand filter/pump setup and I also bought the chlorinator as well. I added salt as necessary, pool doing fine, water very clear.

My problem is that although I have great suction through the side wall skimmer. Nothing i do will prevent me losing vacuum pressure after I connect the hose to the side wall. When vacuuming, I have the selector on filter....I do all the usual things such as prime the hose, release air from the pump, pre filter basket (has a clear lid with relief valve on top). I have terrific suction...UNTIL i attach the vacuum hose to it and WHAM....loses prime. I found that this NEW 2100 model has been discontinued....Wonder why?......lol. But i repeat all steps and the same result every time....loses prim as soon as i put the hose to the side wall. I have a really difficult time exposed to the high temperature and humidity for more, than say 30 minutes. So it is difficult to stay pout there and try other things unless i have a defined plan of attack. Because i fall out from the heat. I thought this pool would be a blessing. But is actually a curse because i cant clean it. Is there anyone out there that could tell me what i am doing wrong? Would it help if i changed the selector valve to waste while vacuuming? I apologize in advance if this is posted in the wrong place.....Jeffrey

Welcome to TFP from a fellow Vet.

It sounds like you either have a pinhole leak in your hose or a leak in the plumbing you hook the hose to. If you hold the cover open on the sidewall connector and run the pump without the hose attached, do you lose prime? If you do lose prime, you got a plumbing leak. If you don't lose prime, it is your hose.

If it's the plumbing, Take a can of shaving cream and lather up the plumbing fittings you can get to one at a time. Start the pump after lathering up a fitting and if you don't lose prime, you found the culprit.

It would be helpful if you could add your pool info to your signature.

Good Luck

Thanks for posting here...Its much appreciated. Prime is fine at all times when I run the pump. Side skimmer operates ok, remove skimmer, still ok, but hook a hose to it and i lose prime. Tride using the sectional hose supplied AND a one piece ribbed 25 foot hose...all new. Whenever i attach...immediately loose prime.

Do you have the Intex plunger valves with a small cap on the pool side of the valve, like these?

http://www.amazon.com/Model-Intex-P...405131582&sr=8-5&keywords=intex+plunger+valve

If so, plug that little cap. It is a vacuum break, and only the skimmer will work with that open. Your vacuum hose restricts the flow, and that "safety feature" lets air in, so you lose prime.

Charlie, I'm not sure I follow you. Are you saying that that cap needs to be open when using the skimmer??

I'm having the exact same problem.

6910bf4b2bcdf2b1c32c128dba5170ac.jpg

If too much suction happens, like someone stuck to the inlet, or a vacuum, that little valve opens and releases the suction. So it needs to be capped when vacuuming. A rubber cap would be ideal, but you might be able to make do with a thick plastic bag and a rubber band.

If too much suction happens, like someone stuck to the inlet, or a vacuum, that little valve opens and releases the suction. So it needs to be capped when vacuuming. A rubber cap would be ideal, but you might be able to make do with a thick plastic bag and a rubber band.

So that's a safety feature? I'm pretty sure I've had my hand nearly sucked through blue hose adaptor and it didn't kick in!

THATS IT!! That's the problem Richard! I went back on and cupped my hand over the adaptor with another hands thumb on that valve and noticed the suction.

I've been losing suction to that valve for over two years! I just opened up my pool yesterday and left my pump running over night and the suction was nearly non existent this morning.

I put black tape over the valve and now I see no bubbles in basket when using the skimmer!

Why do some models of those plunger valses not have those safety valves?
f244fbde605da0a109add980fd7074c4.jpg

I have had the same problem.
I also had cross threaded/over tightened the plunger valve, and had continuous air getting in my intake line.
I have searched far and wide for replacement plunger valves with this vacuum release valve, but have been unable to find them.
I have spoken to several people at Intex, and all seem to have no clue what I am speaking about.
I even had the latest person tell me those vacuum release valves are for "Aeration on the outflow side of the pool, because many folks like bubbles in their water"

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have had the same problem.
I also had cross threaded/over tightened the plunger valve, and had continuous air getting in my intake line.
I have searched far and wide for replacement plunger valves with this vacuum release valve, but have been unable to find them.
I have spoken to several people at Intex, and all seem to have no clue what I am speaking about.
I even had the latest person tell me those vacuum release valves are for "Aeration on the outflow side of the pool, because many folks like bubbles in their water"

They don't do this on the new models intake/suction side, but they do have an "air jet" on the return side that adds air. It's convenient if you want to raise pH, but not so much when you don't. It's different than the one shown in this thread though. I don't have a pic that shows it without my attempt to close it off with plumbers tape before I found the cap, but you can see it's a slightly different part.

This is what the person who said "folks like bubbles" is talking about, but that person is clearly misinformed because Intex actually claims this is for adding "negative ions" to the water. No clue why they think the water needs negative ions or what benefit it's supposed to be, but it's on their advertising and I also saw a video put out by Intex that espouses these negative ions.

2019-07-19 17.57.39.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.