Quiet, efficient, reliable heat pump recommendations.

Hi all,

I'm looking to heat pump that is quiet (to reduce potential neighbor grief) and is reasonably efficient and can heat at low ambient temperatures.

I was thinking something like the Zodiac PowerFirst 15D - which heats and cools (so can do low temps) but the largest model in that range has fairly lowish output (3.6kw in, 15.7 out) and I'm not confident that it would heat my 55,000L outdoor in-ground pool during the cooler months where max daytime temps are often ~10deg C (50F). Although it has an awesome decibel rating of 40dB compared to the common 50+ of most other models that I've seen. The AstralPool one is ~58dB.

http://www.zodiac.com.au/Content/cms/products/pdf/PowerFirst_datasheet.pdf

Does anyone know of anything else that is comparable but has a bit higher output (I'm after something ~5kw in - ~20+ out) - single phase with sub 50dB sound? I'm struggling to find anything else that is below 50dB. Any recommendations?

Cheers,
Dave.

Unfortunately you will find that heat pumps lose their efficiency once temperatures get low. At day time temps of ~10deg C (50F), you won't get much warmth out of it at all. It's just the nature of the beast. Seems that you are doing your homework so I'm sure you already knew this though. Once you get into the warmer day time temps, you will be able to extract heat and put it into your pool water. Do you just have a pool or do you also have a spa?

Thanks Paul,

I did see the efficiency ratings drop the lower the temp goes - most seem to be around 4 COP at around 10deg C (50f), that was one of the reasons I wanted to get the largest type I could on single-phase.

The heating + cooling types are needed to melt the ice that apparently starts to build up at ~10deg C so it lets you run it at even lower temps (although like you say - the efficiency drops).

I think I'm becoming convinced that I should change my plan and choose a heat-only pump - there seems to be a few more options if I go that route. Considering they still heat to some degree down to ~10deg that should probably be ok - I'll just close the pool over the really cold months.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.