What to look for in a filter?

Hi all,

I'm looking to change all of my pool hardware and one of the things on the list is a filter.

The pool shop has recommended and quoted me on a Zodiac/Jandy CV460 Cartridge Filter but I'm wondering if a AstralPool Viron CL400 or CL600 is better or just "different". I don't see any details on the quality of filtration to be able to compare:

http://www.zodiac.com.au/cs-cv-cartridge-pool-filters - for the Zodiac one. $1393 + Inst.
http://www.alliancepoolstores.com.au/Pool-Filters - for the AstralPool Viron one. $2129 + Inst.

Or should I be considering some other recommended brands?

Regards,
Dave.

I can't comment too much on those specific models, I have never heard much of Astral, they are not big in the US anyway, and Jandy is probably the 3rd most popular brand here, but does seem to make good products, I currently have a Jandy pump.. As to the difference the CL 600 looks to be about 1/3 larger than the CL 400. As to prices, OUCH...

Is there any reason you are switching away from a sand filter? (sand filters seem much cheaper on that link you provided) Common reason to switch from sand to cartridge filters is usually to either conserve water, or due to water discharge limitations.

Hi Isaac,

Thanks for the reply, I was more meaning the difference between the Jandy and Astral filters rather than the difference between the CL400 and CL600.

I have a few reasons for changing from the current sand filter.

1. It is very old and it's winter right now, so getting somebody to work on our pool gear should be relatively easy. However if dies during summer then it may take more time to replace. I was also told that parts for it are very expensive (they sold some part recently for $700 to somebody).
2. There is no gauge or anything to tell me how much pressure there is, which means that I would probably be backwashing more often than I really need to just to be safe.
3. Nothing seems to be water efficient in our new house (which is about 35 years old) and the last water bill was quite high and I presume that backwashing contributed somewhat. We'll be living here for many years so I was wanting something that will reduce our expenses over time.

Cheers,
Dave.

I am not at all familiar with the AstralPool filter, but It's my guess that you will find there is not much difference between that and the Jandy filter.

You could try the Hayward SwimClear or the Pentair Clean and Clear Plus. In America they tend to be a little less expensive than the Jandy filters, but I think they are all equal in quality. I am very happy with my Hayward model C3030. It would be a great size for your pool.

We've been living here for almost a month and I've backwashed twice. My pool doesn't get ridiculously dirty - but it currently doesn't have a cover and it does get some leaves etc on windy days etc. I guess I'm currently just feeling my way on what to/not to do so doing it twice within that period was probably been an overkill. Although not having any gauge seems a bit hit and miss on when to do it.

I'll check out those other filters / brands and see if they're available locally etc, thanks Sargent.

Hi Dave,

I've been reading through some old threads trying to find answer to my own problem - replacement of the cartridge filter.
I am also looking at Virson and Zodiac Cartridge filters. Just wondering which one you went with?
Is it worth spending the extra on Viron?

Thanks
Vlad

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.