Necessary to sandblast finish?

CAL7

Jul 10, 2014
Orlando, FL
I'm buying a house with a stagnant pool - hasn't run in months and is dark dark green. The plan is to refinish it regardless of what is under there, so I'm not too worried. One contractor is insisting that the black algae cannot be eradicated by chemicals and will come back through the new finish; unless I sandblast the finish down to the (presumably) gunite. For a fairly small pool, the added c cost is $1K. Opinions? Thank you!

Welcome to TFP. :wave:

You can eradicate the algae but it will take a lot of elbow grease (brushing daily) and an elevated FC level to do so. How long? That depends on how well you maintain the elevated levels and brush the pool.

Welcome to TFP. :wave:

You can eradicate the algae but it will take a lot of elbow grease (brushing daily) and an elevated FC level to do so. How long? That depends on how well you maintain the elevated levels and brush the pool.
For a new PebbleTek resurfacing job, what do I want the contractor to do? Drain and apply over the current dirty plaster or does he need to get any algae spores off the surface first? Is that a chemical or physical (e.g. sandblasting) process?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.