Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: So frustrated and getting more poor!

1. Back To Top    #1

So frustrated and getting more poor!

We have an ultra frame 18'x48" above ground intex swimming pool. We got the pool last year and had no problems keeping our chemicals even and the pool clear.. Put it up this year and have a HUGE problem.

We have algae, lots and LOTS of it. We have triple shocked it.. Our problem is that our cartridge pump (which is a 1500 GPH Krystal Clear Pump) keeps getting clogged after two hours. We clean the filter or put a new one in and try again over and over.. Nothing helps. We also have the Klean Machine pool robot...

We have been dealing with this for weeks. Now the algae is all settled to the bottom... tried to run the robot, but it doesn't pick up the particles... Literally, the water is crystal clear, we just have a bunch of algae sitting in the bottom. I would vacuum to waste, but there is no vacuum I can find that is compatible with this filtration system and pool...

I do not know what to do. My husband and I work all day and can't be here to change the filter constantly.. Please Please Help us.

(Have tested all my chemicals and they are all within the normal range.. other than my Free Chlorine which i'm keeping at shock level)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: So frustrated and getting more poor!

Welcome to TFP!

I have a question or two for you:

What are you using to test your water?

What are you using to chlorinate your pool?

Ok that is out of the way. Your location says White Oak, but what state? It could make a difference in the advice your get here.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

Okay...
    We are in Pennsylvania.
    Also (I know, I know) but we are using the HTH strips. Like I said, last year we had zero problems so just didn't order the recommended ones until now.
    We have used shock and swim hth. When that didn't work, I triple shocked with "poolbrand quick dissolving shock." The algae isn't even dead, just off of the walls and settled to the bottom. My neighbor threatened to called the borough on us today for our green pool even though we've been out there countless hours trying to fix it.

4. Back To Top    #4

Sorry, I meant to reply my previous comment to you and failed.

5. Back To Top    #5

What levels do your strips measure, eg do they measure CYA aka stabilizer ?
    Cedar hot tub, 680 US gallons - Snorkel wood-burning heater, canoe paddle, "offline" Intex 1000 GPH pump/filter with skimmer

6. Back To Top    #6

I think we are all suspecting you have high CYA levels caused by over use of stabilized dry chlorine products over a period of time, see this thread http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...lets-raise-CYA
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

7. Back To Top    #7

Well, all I know is that you have a green pool and no test results for me to even take a stab at giving you accurate advice.

I will say this though. If you want a pool, you should have a good test kit. You can look at them here Test Kit Comparison.

Also, you should read:
    ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry
    Recommended Pool Chemicals
    How to Chlorinate Your Pool
    Chlorine CYA Chart
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter