Chlorinator went out/ algae cometh

Jul 10, 2014
Edwardsville,IL
Hi all! I'm a newbie pool owner and I'm having an issue with algae. I have a saltwater pool with an Intellichlor chlorinator. The power supply got fried on the intellichlor, so I had it replaced. It was down for two days and now I have algae growing. Should I boost the intellichlor up to 100% for a few days? Would that get rid of the algae? Should I shock the pool? I'm lost and we are having a pool party in a few days! Help!!

How are you testing your pool water? Got a GOOD test kit? A test kit saves you from wondering what is and what *isn't* growing in your water. An investment in healthy pool upkeep. (I like the TF-100 test kit, see siggy for link)
Next- you can always augment your pool with plain old liquid chlorine (aka household bleach!) for times when you need a boost. Read up on pool care and how to manage your new pool in the Pool School articles (upper right side link).
It sounds like you need a full on SLAM procedure which is not a one time dose of any chemical but rather a process to kill off the algae faster than it can reproduce. It takes a good test kit and a few days commitment.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.