Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chlorinator went out/ algae cometh

1. Back To Top    #1

Chlorinator went out/ algae cometh

Hi all! I'm a newbie pool owner and I'm having an issue with algae. I have a saltwater pool with an Intellichlor chlorinator. The power supply got fried on the intellichlor, so I had it replaced. It was down for two days and now I have algae growing. Should I boost the intellichlor up to 100% for a few days? Would that get rid of the algae? Should I shock the pool? I'm lost and we are having a pool party in a few days! Help!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Chlorinator went out/ algae cometh

How are you testing your pool water? Got a GOOD test kit? A test kit saves you from wondering what is and what *isn't* growing in your water. An investment in healthy pool upkeep. (I like the TF-100 test kit, see siggy for link)
    Next- you can always augment your pool with plain old liquid chlorine (aka household bleach!) for times when you need a boost. Read up on pool care and how to manage your new pool in the Pool School articles (upper right side link).
    It sounds like you need a full on SLAM procedure which is not a one time dose of any chemical but rather a process to kill off the algae faster than it can reproduce. It takes a good test kit and a few days commitment.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain