Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool pump suddenly popping GFCI....

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool pump suddenly popping GFCI....

Shut it off last night, had been running fine, turn it on tonight, pop goes the GFCI outlet it is wired through.... (no rain etc or anything wet)

I have switched switches, GFCI outlets and replaced the rather iffy looking whip to the motor.... Capacitor on the motor looks fine.... pump runs fine if not wired through a GFCI.

Anything else to really troubleshoot before replacing the motor? (Hayward pump of uknown age)
    16x32 Vinyl inground pool ~18,000 gallons brand new liner. PH 7.0 TA 3ppm if i did test right. K-2006 kit. Sand filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool pump suddenly popping GFCI....

You should try replacing the GFCI outlet before you replace the motor. GFCIs break more often than motors do.

Any chance the motor got significantly wet? Water inside the motor will trip a GFCI until the motor completely dries out. The same applies for water in the electrical wiring.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Pool pump suddenly popping GFCI....

Yes, I already switched GFCIs, and the switch. I do not see how it would have gotten wet unless a seal failed on the after shutting it off last night, It did not rain or anything
    16x32 Vinyl inground pool ~18,000 gallons brand new liner. PH 7.0 TA 3ppm if i did test right. K-2006 kit. Sand filter.