Hello all. I've ran into some alae trouble and this is gonna be a tough one so please bare with me.
I have a small 15 ft round intex pool with cartridge filter. I have been using aqua chem 6in1 or 5in1 I forget, from walmart. I use half a bag a week. I know the algaecide in these little bags are copper .26% or somewhere in that range. I use baking soda for ph. My pool was nice and clear a few days ago. I have a good little test kit and my chemicals were all in line. My pool need more water it was about 4-5 inches low. I added water like I always do and throw in a little shock. The next morning my pool was green. I could not see a few inches into the pool. Here's the issue of why I got algae from adding fresh water.
Our counties water supply comes from lake hartwell. It is treated at a facility and then to us. Well everyone in the county has been complaining of a bad smell and taste in the water. They released a statement that said the smell and taste was from geosmin and MIB I think I got the names correct. So basically toxins form algae blooms in our drinking water. They say its safe to drink but most people arent drinking it. Then they had a pipe burst and told us to boil the water because it was unsafe because of the pipe burst. They fixed the pipe and later said it was safe to drink and they were adding a machine that would use carbon to filter the geosmin and mib out of the water. I am sure this is how my pool turned green over night. You can fill your bath tub and see the water is dirty. I am not the only person's pool that has been messed up by adding the water.
Sorry for the rant but I wanted to explain how I very good balanced pool turned into algae over night.
Here is what I done after the algae.
I threw in another half a bag of shock that had the small percent of copper algaecide.
That did nothing. So the next day I scrubbed the pool and added 5 or 6 ounces of cationic polymer algaeicide. The next day the pool was no longer green but cloudy. So I put in some HTH clarifier. The next day (today) it was less cloudy. So I vacuum scrubbed the pool. It did nothing but stir it all up and it back cloudy. I checked my levels and my chlorine was low so I added more chlorine.
What else can I possibly do? Yes, I am a newbie at this. Next year I am going to follow the wonderful trouble free instructions you guys have, looks so much simpler and cheaper than what I have been doing. Also I have a concern. The auqa chem 6in1 says not to add any other chemicals and of course I didnt see that until AFTER i put the cationic polymer in. Will there be any issues with having copper and cationic polymer in the pool? Thanks to anyone who took the time to read. I dont think Im gonna be able to get this pool right by 4 pm saturday for my kids borthday party. Heres hoping someone here knows. Thanks again!
I typed in the wrong chemical name as my algaecide. I said I used cationic polymer as my algaecide. THat was incorrect. THat is my clarifier. I used HTH algaecide.