pump to filter tube leak - what should I do?

ChewBiscuit

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 25, 2013
Cedar Rapids, IA
Hello,

The tubing between my pump and filter has sprung a couple leaks. One of them is fairly bad.

See the photos:

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll30/bledthemultitude/Mobile Uploads/20140710_185424.jpg
http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll30/bledthemultitude/Mobile Uploads/20140710_185436.jpg

The attachment coming out of the pump is leaking bad. Then that black coupling or whatever it is is dripping a little.

Is it safe to let my pump run like this? Is this something I can fix with a little plumbers putty or do I need to replace some parts?

As always, thanks for your time and advise.

It won't hurt a thing to run it. Those "union" type fittings can often be re-set pretty easily.

No one has had them apart recently, right?

When you re-do, do not overtighten. Each union should have an O-ring and that O-ring should not be much more than hand tight.

As long as the pump isn't sucking air you are OK. The leak is on the pressure side so there isn't a chance of it sucking air unless it's leaking so badly you lose a lot of water and the pools level drops below a skimmer.

Is it safe to run, you need to evaluate that as you can see and judge the severity of the leak. The thing to be careful of is a bad joint between the hose and fittings blowing apart as the pump will keep pumping water until it sucks air.

The black thing is a union. It's a threaded junction that allows you to disconnect the pump from the filter. Is it leaking at the center, where the threads are and might be loose ?? Is it leaking between the hose and the fittings ??

You will likely need to replace the parts as once they are glued together there really isn't a reliable way to fix a leak in the slip joint.

The pictures just aren't clear enough to "see" exactly where you have the leaks. At the pump there is a screw on coupler to the pump, a threaded reducer screwed into that and them the hose fitting screwed into that and then glued to the flex tubing. Can't really tell where yours is leaking from.

How new is the install or had anyone recently had it apart or any work on the pump or filter ??

As long as the pump isn't sucking air you are OK. The leak is on the pressure side so there isn't a chance of it sucking air unless it's leaking so badly you lose a lot of water and the pools level drops below a skimmer.

Is it safe to run, you need to evaluate that as you can see and judge the severity of the leak. The thing to be careful of is a bad joint between the hose and fittings blowing apart as the pump will keep pumping water until it sucks air.

The black thing is a union. It's a threaded junction that allows you to disconnect the pump from the filter. Is it leaking at the center, where the threads are and might be loose ?? Is it leaking between the hose and the fittings ??

You will likely need to replace the parts as once they are glued together there really isn't a reliable way to fix a leak in the slip joint.

The pictures just aren't clear enough to "see" exactly where you have the leaks. At the pump there is a screw on coupler to the pump, a threaded reducer screwed into that and them the hose fitting screwed into that and then glued to the flex tubing. Can't really tell where yours is leaking from.

How new is the install or had anyone recently had it apart or any work on the pump or filter ??
The pump was replaced last fall by a local pool company. I haven't been able to get ahold of them as they've been closed but I think they have a 1 year warranty on work.

I think the pump is leaking right where its glued to the flex tubing, theres a little blue ring around it where the fitting comes in contact with the tubing; it looks to me like its leaking there.

Thanks for the responses.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.