Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: can I shock the pool now

1. Back To Top    #1

can I shock the pool now

I just tried the red n yellow test and test strips. Its telling me that ph is about 7.2
    Alk is around 80ish. Chlorine just started turning yellow with the 5 drops. Can I shock the pool tonight? I did put all that alk rise, ph rise and 2lbs of stabilizer in today
    40x18 Lazy L Rectangle
    29500gal IG w/ vinyl liner
    HAYWARD S244T 300lb sand filter
    Hayward Super Pump 1 1/2hp

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: can I shock the pool now

Why do you think you need to shock it? When was it filled? Also, there are better ways to raise your pH and TA. Head on over to pool school and spend an hour reading. You'll learn a lot. As far as shocking goes, you will discover that shocking is not what we preach here. Read up on how to SLAM your pool. And get a good test kit RIGHT AWAY if you haven't already got one. TF-100 is your best bet.
    13'x22'x52" 8,000 gallon ProSeries Pool with Borates
    Intex 110 pound Sand Filter with Zeobrite, 2650 gph pump, 0.95 hp
    Bestway SWG
    AquaPro ECO500 50,000 BTU heat pump
    GLI Whirlwind Solar Cover Reel, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I already ordered the tf100. Waiting for it to arrive. I already bought a case of shock before I found this site. I have I may as well use it. I've been reading pool school and taking in what I can. I just had liner installed and finished filling. I'm looking to get some chlorine in there now. The new chlorinator is installed and the chlorine just showed up with the red and yellow drop test kit. Wondering if I should throw the shock in to super chlorinate the pool. Water is clear cause of fresh fill.
    40x18 Lazy L Rectangle

4. Back To Top    #4

You don't need to shock unless the water looks murky. What is this shock? liquid or powder? Read the label if it's powder, so you know if you're adding stabilizer or calcium.

This brief article explains what I mean.
    Last edited by Richard320; 07-10-2014 at 08:02 PM. Reason: link
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

It was filling since monday with no chlorine added. I got in today and the bottom was feeling slippery. I was afraid it was starting to grow stuff. Figured the shock would kill it. Turned the water a little cloudy. Hopefully it will be cleared up 2mrow. It is powdered which I mixed up with water. I know some of the shock bags have stabilizer in it. I'll have to look at the bag tomorrow. Thanks for the info
    40x18 Lazy L Rectangle

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by TrevNJPool View Post
    It was filling since monday with no chlorine added. I got in today and the bottom was feeling slippery. I was afraid it was starting to grow stuff. Figured the shock would kill it. Turned the water a little cloudy. Hopefully it will be cleared up 2mrow. It is powdered which I mixed up with water. I know some of the shock bags have stabilizer in it. I'll have to look at the bag tomorrow. Thanks for the info
    Cloudy after adding the shock powder usually means it was Cal-hypo. Sounds like you're doing all the right things.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

If you're throwing powdered shock into the pool, you will need to brush the bottom of the pool, even if you desolved it. It will bleach the liner if it sits on it. Another good reason to use liquid over a return.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

8. Back To Top    #8

Yeah I dint know any of this before I came here. I dont throw any powder in the pool. I always dilute with water real well. It is Cal-hyp
    40x18 Lazy L Rectangle