Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump Died - Should I shock?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump Died - Should I shock?

I noticed today that my pump wasn't running. It could have quit either yesterday or today. I called up the home warranty company and set up the repair. The only problem is that they won't be out until Wednesday. That's 5, possibly 6 days with no pump and no circulation and we had heavy rains on Thursday.

My question is...should I go ahead and shock the pool to boost the chlorine level in hopes that I won't have an algae bloom or should I just wait it out?
    Pool Specs:
    16,000 gal. IG - Plaster - Auto Chlorinator
    FNS 48 DE Filter - 2HP Centurion Pump (A.O. Smith)
    Hayward HeatPro Heat Pump - Polaris 360

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump Died - Should I shock?

Sorry to hear about your pump.

Shocking now is what I would do in this case. I would handle it as though I were going on vacation with the pump turned off. You have the benefit of being there to keep an eye on it. You can mix the chlorine in manually and you can brush daily to discourage algae patches.
    AnnaK

12,500 gal AGP, Hayward sand filter, Pentair 2-speed pump, timer.
    Please visit our Pool Issues pages for information about step weights, managing the solar cover, and PoolSkim.

3. Back To Top    #3

I agree with AnnaK. We had pump issues the begining of this swim season and couldnt use it for several days. Just make sure you "stir" up the pool water good and get some good motion going in the pool when your pouring in the bleach. It will get mixed in quicker.

Good Luck!
    Les
    Don't have a pool right now. Just sharing what I have learned over the years!
    Helpful Links:
    Pool School,Pool Calculator,Cl/CYA Shock Chart,TF Test Kit
    Doing BBB and loving it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Anything you can do to get some water circulation happening will help. If you have a cover pump or sump pump you can use to circulate a little water that is much better than just letting things sit.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

I shocked this morning. Just for grins I tested the chlorine before I did and, as I figured, FC was 0. I also went down and picked up a floater and threw it in there with some pucks.

I don't have any kind of sump pump so hopefully I won't have a green swamp on my hands come Wednesday.
    Pool Specs:

6. Back To Top    #6

Update:

They came out yesterday and replaced the pump. All in all, it wasn't bad. I was beginning to see algae form on the pool walls, but it wasn't as bad as I expected. I let the pump run all night and I have watched my filter pressure go up about 8psi overnight. I will backwash andd recharge the filter once I am sure the algae is gone.
    Pool Specs: