My first test results w/TF-100

Eddy24

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 2, 2014
BH (Saratoga Area), NY
Ok. Just got the kit today and gave it a go: Pool is finally turned blue 3 days ago but still cloudy:

Basics: Ch= less than .5 (clear)
pH= 8.2 (neon pink)
Chlorine= 0 almost clear
FC=.5 (1 drop)
CC= 1.0 (2 drops)
TC=1.5
TA= 170
CYA= Filled to top and still saw the black dot so not sure...

I found the whole thing very meditative as a side positive!

Ok. Just got the kit today and gave it a go: Pool is finally turned blue 3 days ago but still cloudy:

Basics: Ch= less than .5 (clear)
pH= 8.2 (neon pink)
Chlorine= 0 almost clear
FC=.5 (1 drop)
CC= 1.0 (2 drops)
TC=1.5
TA= 170
CYA= Filled to top and still saw the black dot so not sure...

I found the whole thing very meditative as a side positive!
Ok, you need to lower the pH to 7.5, and raise the FC to 10 ppm to start the slam process. You also need to add enough CYA to raise it to 30 ppm.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

So just follow these recommendations? (first time user)
Pretty much... There's a more detailed set of instructions that goes into entering pool size and suggested levels here: http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/114-poolmath-pool-calculator

But, what Zea said...pH first. Since you have high TA and pH at max, it may actually be higher than 8.2 and need two doses of acid (maybe three) to get pH into range. If you brush a little to set up some cross currents it will mix faster.

During the half hour interval, you can weigh out some CYA in a sock and mess around with that.

Then go with the bleach.

attachment.php

I would first suggest a review of "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. After that knowledge is absorbed and any questions asked and answered, it is time for the SLAM.

I would first suggest a review of "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. After that knowledge is absorbed and any questions asked and answered, it is time for the SLAM.

Got my notepad filled with a few pages of bullet points from those sections. I've read them before but they do paint a different picture after you have tested the water yourself. Another plus to self-testing.

I need a little clarification for SLAM procedures. CYA shouldn't be re-tested for a week after adding right? I added 42oz yesterday (called for 84 but sock couldn't hold all that) tested everything today and got a reading of 30 for CYA. I had been targeting a shock level of 10 for FC but should I adjust to the new CYA reading or still go with the initial 10 from my 0 reading before starting the SLAM?

So far added (yesterday):
43oz Muriatic Acid (35%)
42oz CYA (100%)
180oz Chlorine@ 12.5%

Brushed entire pool

Last night my last FC reading was 9

Today:
11am: Basics(Chl= 4ish;ph 7.5ish) FC=3; CC=0.5; CYA=30; TA=150; CH=125
added: 109oz Chl; 21oz CYA
Vacuumed
1pm: FC= 11.5
2pm: FC= 9

Originally Posted by tim5055 "Now, in answer to your question, yes near the end of a SLAM this can help clear the water. Reading through the posts of yours I could find quickly I see you got your test kit around the 10th, but really didn't see anything about conducting a SLAM. How are your numbers?"

Numbers are looking good: mostly only checking FC but it's been holding pretty steady. Although looking back at the OCLT I didn't do that correctly because I added a little chlorine after.

Wound up upping my Shock level to 16 just because I had added some CYA and want to make sure I'm aiming for the upper level instead of under shocking.

Yesterday (day 2-my question was more pre-emptive than reflecting my current standing with my SLAM): 9am FC=11 (10.5 night before), ph 7.2ish, CC=0.5, TA=140 still high;Vacuumed; 1pm FC=9; 3pm FC=15? (decided to make my shock level 16 after this reading); 5:30pm FC=13; 8pm FC=17.5. ...8am this morning: FC=15.5

Not sure why some of the random fluctuations/increases as I added very carefully based on Pool Math.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Hopefully now that you've found out how to backwash you can purge the dead algae out of the filter and start to catch new stuff :whoot:
Then we can go from blue cloudy to blue clear !!
Do you have a gauge on your filter ??

If you are at or under your SLAM target it should be OK to swim.
With cloudy water you want to be careful of someone (child, poor swimmer, ... ) going under and not being seen. More important on an IG with a deep end.

Yup, I would and I wouldn't have a problem letting anyone else that uses it in too. If it isn't feeling slimy on the vinyl liner and the only reservation is clarity why not get some enjoyment out of it ?? I wouldn't recommend getting it in your eyes due to the FC level but to cool off or just float around a bit would feel good.
Both of these moderators seem to agree: http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/67031-Maximum-Chlorine-levels-to-swim

(Not get it in your eyes as it might sting, not that it would damage them)

Getting much better
Pool 7_15_a.jpg
Pool 7_15_b.jpg

Numbers Yesterday:
8am FC= 15.5
10am FC= 14.5
1pm FC=15
3pm FC=13
4pm FC=15
6pm FC=15
8pm FC=16

I also tried adding some DE to the filter but each time I had to backwash within 30min as the return line was not pumping anything out and pressure was up 10psi; started with 1 cup then the next time tried 1/2 cup. Still I think just figuring out the backwash deal made a huge difference. I also added about 8oz of the HtH Clarifier because my nephews were begging to swim today.

Today so far: 8am FC=12.5*, 9am FC=15.5, 10:30am FC=16, 1pm FC=13* I also vacuumed for about an hour at 11 and it was the first time I could see the vac head as I was doing it.

*I did not add an chlorine last night and saw a big drop in FC this morning also at 1pm. Both could have been the longer delays in testing but I also added a little more clarifier after vacuuming. So both times adding clarifier saw a drop in FC any correlation here?

Last edited:
Can't tell from the pics but it's crystal clear today:

Pool 7_16_a.jpg

Pool 7_16_b.jpg

, I can see every spec on the bottom. I used some of that clarifier and it really does work well. All the dead algae was in little clumps on the bottom for me to vacuum up easily. Had to backwash twice but it's finally clean, I'm cautiously optimistic but I'm going to keep at shock level for a little while longer just in case the algae wants to rear its head again. I have not done the cc test yet but I passed the OCLT 9:30pm FC=13, 9am FC=12.5

My only concern now is why it was below shock level of 16 I was trying to keep it at. Seems like all day yesterday it kept wanting to go down to 14ish range. I'll have to test for CYA. :My assumption is that I'm at 30 and FC keeps going down to the level of CYA. Would that be a fair assumption (again I'll test later but I'm curious if my thinking is on the right path)

Can't tell from the pics but it's crystal clear today:

My assumption is that I'm at 30 and FC keeps going down to the level of CYA. Would that be a fair assumption (again I'll test later but I'm curious if my thinking is on the right path)

No ... that is not a fair assumption.

You will lose some chlorine to the sun but the chlorine will drop to 0 regardless of your CYA level. You probably still have some organics in there and need to continue your SLAM. Remember you need to pass all three criteria - no visible algae, CC of ,5 or less and passing the OCLT. I bet you would find you don't pass the OCLT.

But .... you can tell from the pics that you are making major progress and are almost there .... well done!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.