Replacement Pump

hende

Jul 2, 2014
NE Ohio
I have a very old Hayward Max Flow 1HP pump (115v) that is starting to make a high pitch rattling noise. Separately I am having an electrician come out to fix a problem with the wiring to the pump, so I thought now may be the best time to replace it instead of troubleshooting the bearings/motor. My filter is a System3 DE filter that has a max flow rate of 74 GPM.

It looks like I can get a new Hayward pump to match my current one, but I wanted to get opinions on what to look for in a new pump. The current pump runs 24/7 but I am having a timer installed so I can knock down the run time to about 12 hr/day. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Hende

After doing some research around this site I decided to just replace the motor instead of the entire pump. I think the Hayward 1 HP motor is model nbr SPX1607Z1M and I can get a direct replacement for about $200 online. However, there are some less expensive replacements by AO Smith and US Motors. Should I stick with Hayward to be safe? Also, assuming I can't find a motor locally, does anyone have a preferred website to order from like InTheSwim or InYo Pool?

Hayward buys the motor from manufacturers. It's ok to buy one of the others. Don't forget to buy a new shaft seal at the same time. Get an intermatic mechanical timer. They're bullet proof. T101 for 115v or the T104 for 230v.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.