Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Replacement Pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Replacement Pump

I have a very old Hayward Max Flow 1HP pump (115v) that is starting to make a high pitch rattling noise. Separately I am having an electrician come out to fix a problem with the wiring to the pump, so I thought now may be the best time to replace it instead of troubleshooting the bearings/motor. My filter is a System3 DE filter that has a max flow rate of 74 GPM.

It looks like I can get a new Hayward pump to match my current one, but I wanted to get opinions on what to look for in a new pump. The current pump runs 24/7 but I am having a timer installed so I can knock down the run time to about 12 hr/day. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Hende
    In Ground, 20 x 40 Grecian, ~35,000 g, Vinyl, Sta-Rite System 3 DE Filter, Chlorine

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Replacement Pump

After doing some research around this site I decided to just replace the motor instead of the entire pump. I think the Hayward 1 HP motor is model nbr SPX1607Z1M and I can get a direct replacement for about $200 online. However, there are some less expensive replacements by AO Smith and US Motors. Should I stick with Hayward to be safe? Also, assuming I can't find a motor locally, does anyone have a preferred website to order from like InTheSwim or InYo Pool?
    In Ground, 20 x 40 Grecian, ~35,000 g, Vinyl, Sta-Rite System 3 DE Filter, Chlorine

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Replacement Pump

Hayward buys the motor from manufacturers. It's ok to buy one of the others. Don't forget to buy a new shaft seal at the same time. Get an intermatic mechanical timer. They're bullet proof. T101 for 115v or the T104 for 230v.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida