Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hayward 100lb Sand Filter for 24' AGP - Large Enough?

1. Back To Top    #1

Nanty Glo, PA

Hayward 100lb Sand Filter for 24' AGP - Large Enough?

Will a Hayward S-166T 100lb Sand Filter (with 1HP Power-Flo Pump) be sufficient for a 24' above-ground pool? My sister-in-law just bought a foreclosed house with a pool and numerous pool parts are missing (more likely stolen while it was in "winterized" condition) such as the pump, filter, all plumbing, etc. . . She has picked up this particular pump/filter used for cheap locally. Please elaborate on your answers: will it work at all? Require much more pump run time? Just require much more frequent backwashing?

The pool is a green swamp now, so I'm wondering how this small filter is going to handle the "green to clean" SLAM process.

I also have a 24' above-ground pool and I have a 150lb sand filter (not sure of the model#, but it looks nearly identical). From what I've read searching through the forum even my filter is smaller than recommended (and it's the filter that came bundled with the pool when we bought it new).

Above-Ground Pool 24' x 52" (13,500 gal)
    Installed May 2011
    Hayward 1HP Power-Flo Pump. Hayward 150lb Sand Filter, Main drain
    Plumbed with Flexible PVC & Fittings June 2013, Modified Slotted Return Jet for Increased Circulation (2014)

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: Hayward 100lb Sand Filter for 24' AGP - Large Enough?

The pool business is notorious for selling too large a pump with too small a filter.

While it's certainly possible to use that small filter on that pool, it won't be fun during the clearing.

Once it's clear, backwashing more often the only serious draw back. It could restrict the flow some but you probably won't notice that.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit