Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Aeration

1. Back To Top    #1

Aeration

in the phoenix, arizona area, i need to try and cool my pool water. i have installed an aerator(see photos). per the photo, i reduced from the 2" to 3/4". you can not see, but have drilled total of 20, 1/8" diameter holes. they are located so they spray upward about 45 degrees when on. i can control the distance of spray with the inlet valve on the pool, so it will shoot right out the other side if i wanted.
    i had heard that if you run it at night, when dark and until the sun comes up, it will cool down the water temp. it has been in the low 80's here, however, even when i run it all nite(8hrs on the timer), it only goes down to miniumum of 88degrees...
    do i need more volume? what am i doing wrong??
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Aeration

The first thing I would try is to run it during the daytime. That device cools through evaporation, not so much heat exchange.

Try that simple change first. You may need some more volume but It may work just fine running it in the daytime.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I would think it would cool faster at night because evaporation is usually higher at night (lower dew point).

upward about 45 degrees
    Try downward at 45 into the water. This will increase the surface area of the water and accelerate evaporation.

, it only goes down to miniumum of 88degrees...
    From what?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by mas985 View Post
    I would think it would cool faster at night because evaporation is usually higher at night (lower dew point).

Try downward at 45 into the water. This will increase the surface area of the water and accelerate evaporation.

From what?
    I thought to get max cooling you should aim fountain to give water as much "air time" as possible?
    Partially buried Doughboy Desert Spring 16 x 32, sport pool, with 7 ft deep middle, 20,000 gallons, Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1.5 HP 2 speed pump, 250 lb sandfilter, 2 Doughboy skimmers and 2 returns. 2 cascade fountains.
    Taylor K-2006 kit. Zodiac Barracuda Ranger suction side cleaner.
    TFPC method and is crystal clear every day thanks to TFP!!!

5. Back To Top    #5

That only cools the water that is in the air which is not much. However, most of the heat is in the pool so that should be the objective.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

6. Back To Top    #6

the pool is 9X18 and by the end of the afternoons temp is up to about 94-95F.
    my current configuration is rigid at pointing upward about 45degree. from what i am hearing, if i were to double the number of drilled holes, and point them slightly at a down ward angle, that would disturb the warm water surface much more than i currently am.

7. Back To Top    #7

Yes, that is the idea. The more waves on the surface of the water, the higher the surface area and the higher the evaporation.
    Mark