Because I always gravitate toward a challenge, I'm building my own wooden AGP...

Pics from this morning, after working on plumbing last night.

Equipment pad :

photo14640x478.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Skimmer :

photo13478x640.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Return(s) plumbing :

photo16640x478.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the compliments so far, guys! I decided to design around easy-to-obtain and affordable pressure-treated 2"x6" tongue and groove wood. It is rated for ground contact, even though the entire structure is sitting on a ring of 8"x16"x2" thick concrete pavers. I'm positive it will hold up to the occasional splash and the elements of being outside all year. When everything is finished, the pool/decks/retaining walls will all get a good coat of oil-based stain/sealant.

The wooden platform and box going into the ground are fantastic touches! Concrete would have ruined the overall effect.

How about some fake bark on the piping or a bamboo effect! That would look cool!

Thanks for the compliments and good advice! This project has involved more labor than I expected, and I even had a friend dig out the pad for me! But it will all be worth it when I'm floating around, catching a tan, with a cold Corona in my hand!

I designed the plumbing with enough unions to remove most of it, along with the pump, for the winter. The valve for the drain line is actually a ball union valve on the end of the drain line. It's in the well box, sunk into the ground. This way, I can plug my main drain form inside the pool for the winter, and then let the water out of the line by opening the valve. Then I'll close the valve for the winter, so if the well temporarily fills with water during the winter/early spring, there won't be any water getting back into the line (air can't freeze).

There will be another ball union valve installed just under the skimmer, and I will cut the main return line and install a ball valve after the union so I can isolate the returns if I need to service the pump/filter with pool filled.

Hopefully I'll get plumbing finished tonight. Then it's wall foam, rhino pad, foam cove and FINALLY liner time!

You have done a great job! It is so pretty!

Labor intense for sure. WOW!

Good about the valves. Planning ahead is SO important. There is a pool on here we are "working" on her equipment but there are missing valves and unions so she is trying to find a way to stop the water so she can get to her filter.

LOVE the pics!

Kim

Hi Augie,

Welcome from another NE Ohioan. I certainly can appreciate the hard work you have put in so far. The wooden pool wall looks fantastic!! Great job and great build so far. :salut: I don't know what the weather is like down there in Medina today, but it's definitely a little on the cool side here!! Hopefully the hot weather will return soon!

Very nice!

Everything about this is great! Well, except for the fact that this project is in NE Ohio and you guys just took back LeBron James from us South Floridians! There goes my own plan to float around my pool while watching monster dunks. Oh well, at least it was a fun four years... hopefully the rebuilt team is still as competitive!

Back to the pool, not sure if I missed it but what wood are you using? It really is nice!

Thanks everyone! The wood is 2"x6" pressure treated deck lumber (pine), but the difference is it is treated for ground contact (highest level of preservative) and it's tongue and grooved on the 2" dimensioned sides. I ordered 16' lengths and made three vertical pieces (staves) per 16' piece. The leftover cutoffs I used to make my equipment pad and my drain valve well. I still need to make the drain well cover with the leftovers, too.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, another Friday vacation day from work and I've got this project rolling now....

Plumbing finalized :

3ef2bd4e-8b8b-4786-91e8-2a3f64bc9415.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

b2c09cd7-acb4-4706-91b3-b5d54ef0627d.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Installed Rhino liner (which was labeled for a 27' pool but was actually for a 28' pool....I had to trim all the way around....what a pain).....

Installed foam coping from Gladon (easy install, good stuff).....

And then liner and finally....water!!!!!

7d2906fd-a148-44cb-a7ec-fe423407a3f6.jpg

7449a097-d773-4a20-80dc-a38b06dbf276.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I will say that I am concerned about the liner stretch.....it doesn't fit as it's hanging, but everything I've read says not to worry, it will stretch in the sun as the pool fills up.....so we will see. I cut my wood staves 52" exactly, so I know my wall height is exactly 52" and the bottom sand is flush with the pavers that the wall sits on. So, fingers crossed....

Now it's time to chill for a bit....

Sweet! That looks nice!

What a pain with the pad! Grrrrrrrrrrr!

You can't relax too much. You need to be in the pool working out wrinkles if there are any. Wait that will be "chillin" as the water is going to be COLD burrrrrrrrrrrrr LOL

Kim

Thanks, Kim! I just got done working out the last of the wrinkles (with two of my kid's kick-boards duct taped to my feet!). I tested out the sand, and it's pretty firm now, I bet next time I go in I won't need the duck feet. There is over 4" of water in there now, so I'm on my way. I just hope the liner stretches the last amount necessary to get over the foam cove pieces. I figure once it's flat on the wall, I'll be home free. So far, so good.

Now, back to my beverage!

I love the idea of duck feet! Good idea! Now if only someone took pics! LOL

Keep a close eye on where the liner goes in the J hook liner holder. (I am guessing that is what you are using to hold the liner). You do NOT want it to start coming out. Did you use liner lock? You can also use pennies or Popsicle sticks to help hold the liner in the track.

You might want to stop the water once the sun is off the pool. The sun really does help stretch the liner and allow it to give as it fills.

I can't wait to see how you do steps/deck to the pool.

Kim

Wow... Can I say I think your tractor's sexy! :mrgreen: lol

The pool looks great!!! Fantastic job!!!

All I can say is that is one heck of a nice looking pool.
No I take that back. That is the best looking AGP I've seen. Man I wish I would have sen this prior to me getting mine. You've done an outstanding job ! ?

Well, pool liners must be made of some pretty good stuff, because I was really concerned my liner wouldn't stretch enough to fit.....but it did. About a day and a half of running two garden hoses wide open round the clock, and she's filled. Saturday night, even though the water was COLD, I couldn't get my two boys out!

e4372c94-f239-445d-89d5-34ced067b97f.jpg

Partly sunny today, but the outside temp only reached about 78....the water was still cool, but that didn't stop us. I used the old set of steps I had to remove from the deck, and re-worked them into a temporary set of entry steps. I also scored a set of wedding cake steps (and the 50lb sand weight to go with them) off Craiglist, and they worked out really well. The wedding cake steps were the wife's suggestion, as she pointed out they'd be easier and safer for our kids. Good call on her behalf.

1a3e318b-8a8a-45ab-887d-8740f9e7f037.jpg

I'm not sure how much I'll actually use the solar cover, its a huge pain in the butt to take on and off. The wife said "solar cover? I thought you said the pool would have a heater???" So, I guess I'm now shopping for a heater. Suggestions for a 17,100 gallon pool?

Now, all I've got left if to put together my step-down pool deck that will span between the existing deck and pool, and I'm done............hopefully!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.