Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pH/Chlorine Interference?

1. Back To Top    #1
    Pflugerville, TX

pH/Chlorine Interference?

After doing several partial water changes to get my CYA down, I had my pH at 7.6. Due to the CYA levels still remaining, I'm having to keep my FC at 10-11 for the time being.

Measuring my pH now gives me a reading with the K-2006 of 8.0 (or possibly a little higher.) Am I possibly getting false readings from my pH test due to the higher levels of FC? Seems I'd read here that chlorine interference with this pH test can cause high readings.

Oh, and alkalinity is 275, if that helps provide any more info.
    15,000 gallon 16x30 IG w/vinyl liner built in 2006, Hayward cartridge filter, Hayward 1HP Single Speed pump, Taylor K2006.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: pH/Chlorine Interference?

FC levels between 10 and 15 make the PH test give slightly higher than actual readings. Adding large quantities of bleach will also raise the PH a little (it goes down again when FC comes down).
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School