Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Backwashing

1. Back To Top    #1
    Liverpool NY

My pump backwashes really fast and I lose water fast. Should i backwash when psi rises even by 1 or 2? Why should I strain the pump by not bringing it down to base reading? What do you all think? I like my jets on full strength.
    Circa 20,000 gal IGP, 12 years old, Hayward SP2607X10, 1 hp single speed pump, Hayward S244T Sand filter, vinyl liner, using Aquacheck test strips and Taylor K-2006 Test Kit, 1 skimmer, 1 bottom drain, 2 jets (near stairs and on the opposite deep end)

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Re: Backwashing

About the best "spot" for backwashing most systems is when psi increases by 25% from clean pressure. It is a good guideline.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Oro Valley, AZ

Re: Backwashing

After I backwash my pressure is 5 psi so 1 to 2 psi would be 25% but that just seems crazy to me to backwash because of a couple psi. So I usually backwash every 2 weeks or if it gets above 10 psi or if the creepy doesn't seem to be moving normally. I kinda like my waterfall feature because I can look at it from inside the house and know if there's a pressure issue. I'm thinking of upgrading my system soon though so I'll probably be able to just look at a computer screen.

In-ground: 20,600 gallons; Sand Filter 1HP pump; Kreepy Krauler; Solar Breeze Solar Powered Robotic Skimmer; TFT-100 test kit